Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Dear Victor, do students in your country stop improving their English once they’re 14 ? ;-)    

Dear Victor, do students in your country stop improving their English once they’re 14 ? ;-)

elderberrywine
Germany

Dear Victor, do students in your country stop improving their English once they’re 14 ? ;-)

Hello Victor, I am thrilled to have found this fabulous site of yours recently. So much fun, solidarity, sharing and good advice.

Yet there is something that�s a big big disadvantage for me.

The age categories end at + 14 . However, I teach students up to the age of 19, and between 14 and 19 there are miles and miles of difference.

The themes we teach are very very different at 14, 16, 18 and 19. So are the linguistic levels. Some subjects come up again and again, but at very different levels. It doesn�t really make sense to put them all into the 14 � 100 category. I teach Shakespeare, globalization, tons of British and American literature, genetic engineering, immigration, international peace-keeping, American Dream, decolonialisation, how to analyze political speeches etc. at a very advanced level. I�m sure many colleagues not only in my country do, too.

But where do we put worksheets on these topics in ESL? There is grammar and vocabulary, but where is analysis of fictional and non-fictional texts? Where do we distinguish between what a 14 year-old can read and what an 18- year old can work on? In ESL, there is one category for every year between 3 and  14, and then there is only + 14 up to 100. But there are worlds of difference between 14, 16, 18.

I don�t attempt to upload worksheets for that age group as I suppose they would be lost in the + 14 category. I don�t even attempt to look for worksheets that would be helpful as I wouldn�t know where to look. Yet at this level of teaching support from other teachers would be extremely helpful as it�s a lot of work.

Surely many teachers who teach up to school leaving age feel the same. Is there anything that can be done about it?

Love

Dorothea

31 May 2009      

missveronica
Argentina

Dear Dorothea

I have kind of the same problem, I teach Literature and History and will be teaching language for IB next year and these subjects and the topics I usually deal with do not get much attention.

In fact most my WS are Literature for IGCSE and IB...my downloads are very few. But I think that if we start making our own WS and pp, as they are googling to find info find our WS they �ll feel the need to join and contribute...

Maybe its idealistic, but I hope we can someday find lovely WS fro difficult or boring subjects (such as mine at times) here too

:)

31 May 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

If we want to find them we need categories to put them into. I could share quite a few - but simply don �t know where to place them.

31 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi edlerverein! Welcome to this wonderful community.

When I registered, I also had the same difficulty, but, as time went by, I �ve come up to understand how the system works and today I can  easily find not only what I am looking for but also  a category to put my worksheets.

When we send in a printable, we have to choose a category

Main content: (choose one from these three fields)
Vocabulary:              Grammar:                            Others:     

Other contents:

(Write here the contents separated by commas. For example: food, dinner, restaurant, cooking)

On others, you can find besides readings: Business English, classroom forms, conversation, listenings, movies, roleplay, songs, tests, webquests, writing and, finally, other printables.

Let �s pick up one of the topics you mentioned - Globalization. You would choose a field according to the activities you �ve prepared: listening,reading, writing..... Below - "Other contents" you �d add, for example, vocabulary (in case you had this type of exercise in your worksheet), Benefits and side effects of globalisation (if your focus was on that), economy, aesthetics, etc - depending on the subtopics in the text. Moreover, If you still had some information you would like to add, you could always give it in the description box.

When you choose the level, there are only 3 categories: elementary, Intermediate and advanced. When I find it important to specify more clearly the level  of the students, I usually write in the title: ..... for Upper Intermediate and Lower Advanced students. If I want to be even more sopecific, I add B2 and C1, for example, according to the established levels of proficiency in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

When you want to look for a worksheet on a specific topic you just have to do the same.

Search worksheets, lesson-plans, flashcards...

Level: Age: Type:

Contents:  
Enter here the contents you are looking for (phrasal verbs, halloween,...)

By choosing readings you �ve already narrowed the range of worksheets. The same with the age and the level. Depending on the topic, very popular or not, you won �t need much time to do your searching.

Well, I �m not sure I was clear enough as I �m already very tired. As I mentioned before, at the beginning we are a little bit lost in the middle of so many thousands of worksheets, but in the end the system proves to be pretty effective. Sure there are some categories that could be added and  other improvements to be made. I �m certain that it will all be done in due time. Meanwhile, we must learn to work with what we have, which, as I said, I find very effective in its own way.

Wish you a good night.
mena

1 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi eldervein

I think +14 means 14+, so anyone older than 14.

Putting key words in the �contents � field is very important - the system uses these keywords to match the search word entered by the user.

Mena is right - over time you will learn how to use the site to yoru advantage - practice makes perfect. �

Cheers

Jayho

1 Jun 2009     

Axia
Argentina

I work exclusively with adults and yet I �ve found tons of material here. I suppose it �s just the way you look at things. Also, when I can �t find what I �m looking for, I make it myself! Wink

Just a thought

Axia

1 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Mena,
Nice tutorial on uploading. HAHA You should make this into a  ws. :)  VERY NICE!!!

1 Jun 2009