Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to deal wih SLANG?    

How to deal wih SLANG?

mldl28
Argentina

How to deal wih SLANG?

Hi everyone, the other day I had this discussion with a student of mine: he said that he should be able to use slang in the English class (or when writing an informal letter) because, in this way, he is just showing that he knows how to use the language.

I feel that he is right at some point, but, on the other hand, I don�t know if I should let him to do so. In Argentina, it�s common to use slang, sometimes (especially teens) address each other using the term �boludo�� The problem is WE know it is alright! we know that the other person is not trying to offend us because we all share the same culture. But, what about English?

How would you deal with this issue?

1 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I would say it depends upon the word or phrase.  Kids today often use "yeah"  instead of "yes" but I tell them this is not respectful.  It is okay among friends but should not be used when addressing an adult.  Slang has its place. Like if you play a fun game and they say, "Cool!". That is totally acceptable.  I would say use your best discretion.  GL

1 Jun 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I generally don �t use slang in class.  When asked about words that are slang I explain the meaning and tell the class it �s to be used among themselves and not in class.  Like Spagman said, in certain situations some slang words are acceptable.

1 Jun 2009     

elu�s
Argentina

Hi! I had the same problem with some of my students at intermediate level last year. What I did was to start watching the series Friends and let them pick up all the slang they wanted from the series and use them when commenting on the meaning of them. They felt really satisfied and as it was dealt with within a particular context I made sure they didn �t misuse it. As a follow up, I made them search on the web or in chat rooms about register and when, where and how to use those expressions. We are all happy with what we �ve learnt so far! Mind you, the series is not appropriate for under 15s I would say...
The chapters are 30 minutes long so we watched 15 min every class each.
It´s a great way of seeing how language works within culture.
I hope I helped you!

1 Jun 2009     

Axia
Argentina

I teach slang ALL THE TIME as it is, I believe, the way people really speak. Considering that in Argentina 90 % of what we say is slang, I feel it �s only natural your students want to learn some.

Now slang is not a synonym of "dirty language", but if you �re unsure of what to teach, watch movies aimed at young people and get your clues from there. Do not teach insults, just expressions like "Nature calls" or "Have a good one!" or "Back in ten!. THAT is slang.

Hope it helps.

See ya!

Axia

1 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Hi,

Standard English usually evolves gradually, though sometimes in fits and starts, like when a new technology becomes popular.  Slang is usually generational, regional and situational.  It may not be �cool � to speak standard English when you�re in your teens, but it is often safer and you should be understood wherever you go, as long as you �re speaking to someone who knows English.

Young Japanese people love hip-hop, but it sometimes gets them in trouble when they practice their �Ebonics � in New York.

David

1 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I would definitely teach slang to students - within a context.  Maybe you could hook them up with some english speaking email pals and they could use the slang in that context. 

I do not suggest teaching children to swear!  that is a different kettle of fish!

Slang can be very fun and grab their imagination.

For Example (for an adult audience....)

The saying - It �s cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. 

This is still used a lot when the weather suddenly turns cold - and most people (even english speakers) imagine that it is a crude reference to the cold - when in fact it is a reference to the �brass monkeys � that use to hold cannon balls onboard ships.  When it got cold - the bronze contracted faster than the iron cannon balls - therefore popping the �balls � off the �brass monkey �.

And what were you thinking it meant??!!Wink

1 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

If you �re going to teach slang you should make sure it relates to the topic you �re teaching, ensure that your students are aware of the difference between the slang term & standard English & ensure they understand the social parameters within which slang is used.

The most difficult aspect of teaching slang in ESL/EFL environments is ... which slang do you teach? Slang terms (& metaphors) can vary widely in meaning between generations, regions & even groups within the same city. Then if you start comparing NZ, Aussie, New York, Cardiff & South African slang then you will get awfully confused very fast. So if you intend to use slang then you �d better be sure you (the teacher) know exactly what it means, when, where & how it is used or you could be leading your students �right up the garden path � & potentially creating some serious miscommunication problems if they meet a native speaker! Even native speakers have problems with this when speaking to other native speakers...

In Japan I usually compare the different dialects of English with Kanto & Kansai Japanese. They �re very different dialects of the same language but even the expressions used in humor are very different. Kanto Japanese humor tends to be slapstick whereas Kansai dialect tends to be more like Australian humor... a little sarcastic & rough round the edges. It �s the same with the regional slang.

Oh well, back to domestic bliss & work again!
88!

1 Jun 2009