Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > play needed!    

play needed!

miss_yanis
Argentina

play needed!

HI everyone!

I �m in desperate need of an easy play about dinosaurs, if you happen to know where I could find one, I �d be more than grateful!

I need to prepare it with my 13-year-old students for an special book fair that is held every year and I had this great idea but haven �t found what i need yet.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Kisses!

Miss Yanis

1 Jun 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

I don �t think you can find it that easily. And even if it �s somewhere out there, you �ll probably need to adapt it to suit your students. I suggest that you try and write your own. You probably did a topic on dinosaurs, or similar, so you can build on it and on the language that the ss are already familiar with. You can try and find the Dragosourus song from English Together 1 (Longman) (i have it on the cassette, so i can �t help you) and fit it somewhere in the play. Also, theme music from ... say, Jurassic Park, might help ...

1 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Also have a look around - there are some great simple kids books on dinosaurs, many of which also have poems.

You could use a book to base your play on, include incidental music (I can recommend or maybe even email a couple of mp3s to you if you need them) for dance/movement scenes & use one or several children as narrators or chorus to recite the poems.

Just a couple of ideas...

Wink Hi Ivona!
Wink

1 Jun 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

thank you both! It doesn �t need to be long, and it �s meant to be done with puppets... because we �re presenting it to the little ones...

if anyone has any other ideas.... they �ll be welcomed!!

Thanks a lot!

1 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

remember too that puppets don �t have to be little things - my favourite puppet shows have had several performers making one puppet between them!

Here �s a good resource website with ideas about a play...

http://www.mermaidtheatre.ns.ca/repertory/dinosaurs/studyguide/dinolessons.html

You may even be able to get some info about the original if you contact the theatre company!

p.s. there�s also a good section on puppets & puppetry on the website Wink

p.p.s. you may also find something in this website:
http://www.einet.net/directory/941961/Online_Books.htm
or here:
http://www.westerntour.com/Drum/story/

1 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi!
Sorry I can �t give you a great idea, although my kid is completely mad about dinosaurs, but I can suggest cartoons and movies he likes a lot and which might give you an idea. It �s not very original, I know, but it might help. There �s the TV series called Dinotopia and a cartoon by the same name, and all kids like it. Also Aladar is a good one(the cartoon is called Dinosaur, Aladar is the main character). Then there �s a cartoon series Land Before Time Spielberg produced it) which can be used really well, because there are also amazing songsThumbs Up, and you can use images of characters to make puppets if it �s a puppet show (Songs like Creepy Crawlies, Big, big Water are really catchy). I wanted to do it myself, but decided on something else(The Jungle Book).
What I did use was this song/rhyme I found online(I apologize to the author - I �m not sure who it is, but it was among free materials of children �s rhymes)... My students didn �t sing it, we acted it out using lots of movement and sounds, and we had a story preceding it about this old, grumpy dinosaur who was annoyed because all the kids(sorry, I know it �s historically impossible: kids and dinosaurs, but this happened in fairytale land) liked to slide on his back, so one day he decided to pretend he was really mad, scary and mean, but in the end he realized he actually liked kids, so instead of catching them, he tickled them. I know you said teenagers, but who knows - this might give you an idea...

Dinosaur Song
Youngsters participate by sing and acting out the motions to this dinosaur song by Kay who says, "My older three �s loved it".

I �m a Mean Old Dinosaur
 (Tune:  I �m a little Tea Pot)

I �m a mean old Dinosaur 
   (Make a mean face, the kids make the cutest mean faces)
 Big and Tall
   (Gesture hands big and tall )
 Here is my tail, here is my claw.
   (Gesture hands behind your back for tail and make claw hands)
 When I get all hungry 
   (rub your tummy)
 I just growl
  (have the kids exaggerate the grrroooowwwlll)
Look out kids I �m on the prowl.
  (Here I tickle each one of the tummy and they all giggle)

1 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Oh, if you can get your hands on a copy, I highly recommend the book

Dinosaur vs Bedtime by Bob Shea. It �s a great, fun filled, action packed story for youngsters.

Here �s a review:

http://childlitbookclub.blogspot.com/2008/11/dinosaur-vs-bedtime-by-bob-shea.html

This is the author �s website - it has some great stuff in it:
http://vimeo.com/bobshea

Have fun!

1 Jun 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are some links.

1 Jun 2009