Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TV shows pt 3... :)    

TV shows pt 3... :)

roneydirt
United States

TV shows pt 3... :)

Ok got a couple interesting comments and suggestions.  I can �t use Scrubs or Alley Mcbielle (however you spell her name) because I find they are too adult orientated for middle or high school students.  Still looking for more clips with regular sitcoms with some basic dialogue before or after the singer or band sings their song.  I am also looking for sitcoms from other countries, sorry forgot to mention that.  Besides discussing music in regular TV shows I also want my students to hear English being spoken in other accents.  I will try to copy a bit of the dialogue and say it in my accent and they hear it in their accent.  I find some get so use to hearing English in one accent that when they meet people from other areas they have a hard time understanding them.  Plus add in the funny music for discussion.

I had to edited Youngones down to just the dialogue before the song and a bit after for the British accent.  Plus it is funny as they run to the train and crazy stuff they do.

Funny thing you know the word Ma which is short for mother with a slight change in the first portion of Ma means dude in Korean, well sort of.  Mother is one of my vocabulary words and have had the student rolling in their seats with that one especially when I run up to a student going "Dad, Dad can I go out and play"or "Mom, mom when is dinner"..

4 Jun 2009      

roneydirt
United States

Ugh.  I was still working on this and the supervisor came over looked over my shoulder.  They came to discuss my observation classes last week, now we are waiting for a couple more teachers to come so I can teach the "Music in Sitcoms" lesson to them.   I uploaded what I have done so far but wouldn �t mind any additional suggestions. 

4 Jun 2009     

borna
Croatia

I �ve looked at your work mentioned above. The idea is fine, and I �m sure the students will react to it, but, sorry, I have to be direct, why don �t you add some photos from these sitcome �s sites? We are all very visual, and pictures and photos capture our eyes. You can also google some nice quotes from these sitcomes and add to your lesson plan, or make a webquest on each sitcome as a homework assignment. If you need ideas for that, I can e-mail you my webquests on Simon Baker (The Mentalist) and Reba McIntire (Reba).

Greetings,

Sasa

4 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Thanks for the suggestions Sasa.  I will try those later on for future reference, I do want to make the lesson better so more people would be able to use it.  Now as for homework, I do not have the capability with these students that I am using the lesson on.  I basically see them once a month or if lucky twice.  I have one set of more real lessons in the morning with my regular students.  The afternoon I am at other schools more as a "Oh look parents we have a native English speaker coming to our school so your child will be able to speak English now" object.  The students for the most part don �t want to be there so I am trying to make it as entertaining as possible, but with still some English skills being taught even if by accident.  Other irony the biggest complaint about my lessons that were observed last week, "Too academic, you need more hangman."  My lesson for both classes was a vocabulary word scramble on powerpoint, The Quiz Show with questions about the story we are testing on next week, and Vocabulary Bingo.

4 Jun 2009