Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > 2 Basic Principles to Prevent ´Flame Wars ´    

2 Basic Principles to Prevent ´Flame Wars ´

alien boy
Japan

2 Basic Principles to Prevent ´Flame Wars ´

Hi y �all!

Just came across this while doing my morning chores...

1. Presume good intent. What is the best possible way the other person could mean by what they said? If your initial reaction to what somebody says is negative, pause. Take a deep breath. Try to detach from your own personal context and put yourself in their context. What might they have meant by that? Maybe you�re misinterpreting what they�re saying.

So pick the best possible meaning, and respond to that. What�s the worst that can happen? They correct you and say, �No, I really meant��? On the other hand, if you respond to your negative reaction, the worst possible thing is that an escalation begins � a vicious circle. Sound familiar?

You�re never backed into a corner online. Take the time to cool off and re-think it before you reply.

2. Don�t say anything online that you wouldn�t say in person. Would you say it to their face at a networking event? If not, then why would you say it here? Don�t think that the relationships here are any less important, the feelings any less real, etc. And don�t think it won�t have any impact on your business.

No one looks good when they get emotional in an argument, even when they�re right. Does it reflect better on you to be right? Or to be someone who�s easy to get along with?

I�m not saying people shouldn�t voice their opinions, or debate their differences of opinion, but not at the expense of their relationships and even their reputation.

(http://www.thevirtualhandshake.com/blog/2005/08/02/preventing-flame-wars-two-basic-principles-of-netiquette)

I think many of us could remember these principles, except IB... this is exactly what she does before posting... so they are done with intent. Hang on, that�s not unlike me Confused. i.e. if I�ve offended or upset someone it�s because I meant to...

5 Jun 2009      

missveronica
Argentina

Nice advice, thx for sharing

5 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Good thoughts... but I am a constant goof at that.  I try to be very straight forward in my comments in the persons face or online and there are many times it seems like I am argueing or belittleing when I don �t mean to just expressing my opinion.  The Roney �s and Chesser �s are very apt at expressing their opinions even at times it has cost some ancestors their lives.   Kind of family tradition to be as straight forward and honest about what we think.  The other part is not being as tactful as most people in the social realm.  Well the women in the family are better at it then the men being tactful in the social realm.  But then again there are times some must be offended or made upset Alien boy in order to make them think outside the box or open their mind...

5 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

roneydirt - I for one appreciate that you write the same thing that you would say to someone �s face. What �s the old saw... �what you see is what you get �.

Fortunately, the merits of my reputation are debatable at best (especially in some parts of South America Ermm) ... so what I write really is what I think & how I behave... & I have a clear conscience to go with it!

I know that �hot water � feeling well, but I like onsen!

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I smell another �lengthy abdelhadi � here ... Gz one is enough. But two! Can this site handle them both??

5 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Douglas! Douglas! Where are you?

5 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

AB,  I think your friend Douglas has left the building. Good night everyone, it �s time for me to turn off the computer, AKA my ombilical cord to ESLprintables.

5 Jun 2009     

QueenJade
Netherlands

wow!.. lets run away! another "abdelhadi",,..... I hope this one takes his own lengthy advice!!! 

5 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Alas, my post was nowhere near as original as Abdelhadi�s... it�s primarily a cut & paste... hence the weblink...

5 Jun 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Yup. All that and more.

I have some printables on Netiquette aka Forum etiquette. I was inspired to upload them after visiting this forum for the first time!!

Plz PM me if anyone would like them. Don �t download them.

5 Jun 2009