Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Indirect speech    

Indirect speech

Floria
Serbia

Indirect speech

A colleague came up with a question: "How do we transform negative question in reported speech?" - Don �t you like oranges? If we say: She asked me if I liked oranges. it would be as if the question were - Do you like oranges? Any ideas? I googled the net but found almost nothing...
 - Didn �t you see her?
 - Haven �t you read this book? etc...

Thanks for your answers.

5 Jun 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Hmmm ... to me it sounds as if Floria was right ... i stress the word �sounds� ... just that maybe the reporting verb should indicate the uncertainty like, ummm ... She wondered if i liked oranges. Hm? Donno. Caroline, are you around? Or any other native?

5 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

I think it is:She asked me if I disliked oranges.  Yes Ivona I am around ..as usual. Keep turning up like a bad penny heheh

5 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

The negative question is just emphasizing the incredulity of the question BUT in essence negative questions are like normal questions in meaning. SO... I would probably say that a negative question becomes affirmative in the reported speech form with a "or not" at the end. 

Don �t you like orange? -  to me would be  - Sue asked me if I liked oranges or not.

"Didn �t you see that film" - Sue asked me if I had seen the film or not.

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

but doesn �t Don �t you like oranges? imply that the speaker is, maybe, surprised or shocked or uncertain or ... i don �t think that the �or not � would imply that ... huh?
i �m totally befuddled ...

5 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Im not sure that what I said is right or not but it �s what I usually would say..Now Im going to copy Ivona and call out.. Douglas are you around!!!!? haha!  he is a bit of an expert on this...He may be able to tell us if we are correct or not.LOL

5 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Not necessarily ... BUT if you prefer I could have said.. She wondered if I liked oranges or not.

6 Jun 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

To my mind, �She thought it strange that I didn �t like oranges � suggests her incredulity.

6 Jun 2009     

Axia
Argentina

What about "She asked me if I didn �t like oranges"? I see nothing wrong with it

6 Jun 2009     

dellcomputer
United States

She asked whether or not I liked oranges
She asked if I liked oranges or not

6 Jun 2009     

Floria
Serbia

Thank you all for your replies. It seems that the solution may be with this "or not" phrase.

One more thing... In the question "How could you do it?" would you change IT? She asked me how I could do it or, she asked me how I could do that?

Thanks again, I �ll not bother you with indirect speech anymoreWink

6 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >