Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Showing a Movie as a Lesson?    

Showing a Movie as a Lesson?

dennismychina
China

Showing a Movie as a Lesson?

Morning All,

I wonder if anyone has done a lesson by showing a movie and the SS actually benefitting from the exercise. I�m being pressured by my senior one classes (16 year olds) to show a movie split over the last two classes and I just can�t justify it as ESL. Can someone please prove me wrong :~].

In other words, if anyone has done a lesson by showing a movie and the SS have actually learned s/th from it, would you mind sharing it with me?

Many thanks,

Dennis.

7 Jun 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi! We do it sometimes, but students do not just sit back and watch the movie. We create one or two pre-watching activities, several short while watching activities, and then also an after watching activity. We usually do it once a term or twice a year, because you can imagine all the work the teacher has to prepare such a lesson. That �s why we work in groups to work on the film. I believe some teachers have uploaded such material Montypython is one of them.

Have a good night.
mena

7 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Gee Mena, that �s a really great answer.
I teach young ones so the only movies I show are short clips that will support what I �m teaching now. Scholastic has great adaptations of books so sometimes I used them as a complement to what I �m reading to my elementary students.
As for feature lenghth movies, I have to agree with Mena �s answer.

Good night!

7 Jun 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

As Mena says lots of planning is required. here are some links with lots of ideas.

7 Jun 2009     

crisholm
Spain

I think  movies are wonderful and motivating activities.
The truth is I do not use more than two or three during a course.
The thing is: they work perfectly (and students really love them), but they �ve got to be linked to the topic we �re working on at that time.
Needless to say, it takes HOURS a) to watch the film b) to download the script, c) to work on the script to make exercises. d) to decide what it useful and you are going to use.
That is WHERE ESL PRINTABLES PROVES TO BE SO USEFUL!
You can devise all sorts of exercises for films.
The one I �ve found most enjoyable (while watching �The Mummy returns � with elementary students (leaving aside my children �s comments!) is the �safari � sort of exercise : write down the expressions you can pick.
Apart from aghhhh! and oghhh!, they really could do it! And we had some wonderful lessons after this!

7 Jun 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

I love showing movies and then writing essays about them. With 9th grade, I show Second-Hand Lions, and we write about the emotional and physical survival of the characters.
I hope this helps.

Carla

7 Jun 2009     

dennismychina
China

You Guys are wonderful.

THANK YOU! 

I�m off the work now but will be back at lunch time.

7 Jun 2009     

urpillay
Spain

Hi Dennis,
Some time ago I wrote a post in my blog about this issue that maybe can help you. These are the activities I posted there.

Teaching tips:

ONLY PICTURES: Introduce the video without sound (only in children stories) and ask your students to tell you what happens in the story. After that play the story again and make them questions about it.

ONLY SOUND: It is the other way round. Play the video but without the pictures, and students have to interpret what they listened.

THE FROZEN PICTURE: The teacher stop a picture and asks his/her pupils what they think it is going to happen next.

ROLE-PLAY: you can adapt a story to perform it, and do a video with your pupil�s story. You can also use the grammatical points you have explained in class for doing other communicative activities with your students. For example, when you have taught present and past simple they can be journalist and make interviews to other partners or to the people who works in the school; they can make a recipe, a cake� and explain how they are making it in order to practice food vocabulary and the imperative. While they are making the cakes or other recipes you can record them.

FILL IN THE GAPS: you can also use the videos to create your own worksheets with the text where they students have to fill the gaps with the right word.

JUST A HALF: divide the class in two groups and show just the half of the story to one group. After that show the second part of the story to the second group. Then one group have to tell the part they have seen to the another one and vice versa to reconstruct the story.

MAKE A NEW STORY: the students after watching the video have to create a new story using some words which appeared in it.
I hope it helps!!
INMA ALC�ZAR

7 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I �ve already showed a movie scene without sound and the ss had to answer some questions about what happened. In a second step I provided some explanation about the situation and asked the ss to write the possible dialogs.

Then I showed the video with sound and provided a text with blanks and they had to fill in with the missing words.

I also asked them to recognize some words and expressions they had learned that semester (it was full of them) and explain the meaning in the context.

I asked the ss to correct some mistakes (there were some - in fact, substandard English) and at last they had to write about what they would do if they were in the character �s place and what they thought was going to happen in the next scene.

Have a great weekend.

Zailda Coirano

7 Jun 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Dear Dennismychina,

How about using an episode from a series?
Friends? IT Crowd? Prison Break? Desperate Housewives? House MD? Grey´s Anatomy? ER? You pick!
They last 40 minutes and students love them...
I use them with my students all the time, and they do learn a lot! Specially colloquial language and everyday expressions!!!

See you!

Cyn

7 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

The suggestion about episodes from TV series is very good, here in Brazil the ss in general are crazy about Lost and since the characters are always spying each other and reporting what they saw it �s full of action verbs, phrasal verbs, idiomatic expressions, verb tenses and grammar topics to be develop after the presentation. Try to find one with grammar and vocabulary already learned by the ss and prepare a ws with lots of comprehension, grammar and vocabulary questions. My ss love when I prepare something like this!

Cheers

Zailda Coirano

7 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >