Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dear teachers from Australia!!    

Dear teachers from Australia!!

shelly_pamm
Brazil

Dear teachers from Australia!!

What �s the typical food of your country? and Do you have any easy recipe to send me? My students are going to present some cultural information of Australia and we �d like to prepare sth to give the visitors. you can send me a pm or you can send it to my e-mail [email protected]
thanks in advance!!!

9 Jun 2009      

maayyaa
Slovenia

Heya,

I �m not an Aussie, but I spent quite some time Down Under and we had Pavlova very often and it seems like almost ev ery family has their own recipe :-)

It takes quite a while to bake, but the recipe �s not that complicated.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html

9 Jun 2009     

sydneyozge
Australia

Hi,

Except vegemite (which is a kind of food paste made from vegetables), I can �t really think of an Aussie dish. Not the typical food but some of the faves here are meatpie and Shepherd �s Pie. I don �t have their recipe but you can find them on the Internet.

9 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi!

It just so happens I have some good simple Australian recipes around the place. I �ll email a couple to you within the next 24 hours - I hope that will be soon enough.

There aren �t many things more Aussie than �lamingtons � - basically chunks of sponge cake coated in chocolate icing & dessicated coconut.

Or you could go with pikelets - little pancake like things seved with butter or jam & cream.

For something savoury, meat pies are the traditional thing.

Good �billy tea �, black, with a little sugar is very traditional - especially if you can find a gum leaf to stick in the billy when you �re brewing it!

I �ll have a think & send you a few bits & pieces.

Cheers,
AB

9 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

hmmmmp Trust an ozzie to try and steal NEW ZEALAND Pikelets.... I �ll give you Lamingtons... but ONLY because they are named after an ozzie fella.....  but pies!!!! I lived on pies in my student days... I am not willing to give those up so easily..........mmm steak and cheese......Wink

Someone mentioned Pavlova!???!!!!! No way jose!!!! That is all kiwi! We have it with kiwi fruit on top... so that proves it!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlova_(food)

EDIT: one of my fav recipe sites is Australian... www.taste.com.au

9 Jun 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

You just have to give them a taste of vegemite. My Brazilian students hate it but it is sooooo Aussie. I suggest you spread a small amount on toast.
Vegemite and potato chip sandwiches are quite nice.

Another thought is fairy bread..this is white bread with a little butter and topped with thse mutli-coloured little balls sometimes called "hundreds and thousands" but technically called �non-pareils"

Pavlova is definitely Kiwi.

No Aussie feast would be right without �sangers � or �snarlers"..ie sausages on the barbie, also shrimps or prawns.
Good luck, Joy

9 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Speaking of vegemite... I knew a few sushi chef students in training in Sydney. They were all Japanese & being trained by a wonderful Japanese chef. One of the enterprising young fellas made some sushi using Vegemite as an ingredient! It �s actually very similar to one form of miso (a fermented bean or grain paste), so it is actually well suited to some aspects of Japanese cuisine if used the right way!

A few words of warning... if you choose the path of Vegemite, be sparing in its use & don �t eat it �straight from the jar �. It needs to be eaten on something!

Vegemite & potato chips... you �re a little weird mate! Nothing beats good tasty cheese & vegemite toasted sangas - for brekkie or supper after a few bevvies.

Pikelets are originally from northern England. They �re also called �drop scones � by the Scots. I know �em as both.

Anyway, back to doing correction & looking for those recipes I promised to send Big smile

9 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �ve just sent a few things your way!

9 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Well yes, we don �t really have a national dish as such, unlike many other countries.  Being of British origin we were brought up on their fare but this has changed considerably because of our hot climate and multicultural influence.  Somethings that you can consider are:

- damper (traditionally cooked on the fire by settlers) - not eaten so much today but super simple to make

- lamingtons - delicious!  Easy to make using pre-made sponge cake

- Anzac biscuits - traditionally cooked on Anzac Day to commemorate the role of the ANZACs in WW1.  These biscuits were given to soldiers as part of their rations.  Supre  simple to make.  (not sure if Aussie origin or NZ origin)

- chocolate crackles and honey joys - supersimple sweet delights to make using the commercial breakfast cereals of rice bubbles and cornflakes - the recipes are on the box and chocolate crackles especially are the first �cooking experience � of many children.  Limited cooking involved.

- meat pie and tomatoe sauce - usually eaten at sports matches, at the pub, or for a lunch on the run.  Also sausage rolls.

BUT, every Aussie child was raised on good �ole vegemite on toast.  When I travel O/S I always take a jar of vegemite with me.  Most other people don �t like it but we just LOOOVE it!

9 Jun 2009