Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > My worksheets (little study cards) about US citizenship were removed    

My worksheets (little study cards) about US citizenship were removed

elderberrywine
Germany

My worksheets (little study cards) about US citizenship were removed

I got a message this morning telling me that my first two worksheets  bout US citizenship (little cards) were removed because they were taken from a website.

They were removed because one single moderator had found offense.

First of all I found it very unsatisfactory that I was told via automatic message to which I could not reply or say anything in my defense or correct this moderator �s view.

I would then like to say that these worksheets contained little study cards with questions taken from a test for immigrants who apply for US citizenship. These questions are standard questions issued by Government institutions which are only changed every couple of years. It �s like passing a driving test in my country: there is a limited amount of questions, some of which are going to be asked during the exam.

So of course I did not invent these questions. I found them on a website. But if the person who reported my worksheets had looked more closely, he or she would have seen that my worksheets were quite different.

- They weren �t flashcards, but little cards students could work with on their own and in groups. Question on the front, answer on the back. So the use was quite different

- They did not have any pictures whereas the larger flashcards have one photo each. So they looked quite different.

- I added explanations in rather simple English that the original flashcards did not have. So more information was contained.

- I added little clipart symbols, different ones for every set of 10. They all represented symbols of the US (Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, Sam �s hat, the flag...) So I had added a personal element-

- my layout was, alas, quite unprofessional compared to the flashcards you find on the internet. But my worksheets amounted to far fewer pages and are much cheaper to copy because they are simpler.

In my view this is far from having copied a website - and having been on the panel of an online site for teachers in my country for a couple of years I am quite familiar with copyright regulations.

I got several private messages and a couple of comments saying how useful my cards were. I now apologize to all those who are waiting for the next "instalments" of my cards, after 2 sets that I had uploaded  I had prepared 6 more last night. Those 19 people who downloaded the first two sets can contact me and I can mail them the rest.
best regards
Dorothea

10 Jun 2009      

yolprica
Spain

I �m very sorry this happened to you. I downloaded your work and found it very useful. In fact I �m using it in today �s lessons.
Cheer up and continue doing original things, don �t lose heart.
Yolanda

10 Jun 2009     

Princess.Fiona
Argentina

Dorothea!
I �m so sorry about this too! (When I had all my points) I downloaded some of your ws and they are really useful (not the ones you mention now) but other wss! So don �t don �t get discouraged because of this...I think there are modeators who are not even teachers, first because they are very rude, (I �ve seen the comments they write) second, some of them don �t even recognize phonetic symbols!! So that means they �ve never seen a dictionary much less STUDY to become teachers!! I saw someone reporting a worksheet saying that a ws was written in english and JAPANESE!!!! and it was phonetics!!! SO you can see.....  HOW ignorant some of them are! So they can �t really judge wss! as they have no idea! And seems like they have their butts stuck to a chair for the whole day.. moderating! lol Most of tehm report and write comments
anonymously. So this page sometimes, with these kind of people, doesn´t seem serious. Not even mentioning how rude some people get when you disagree with them.
They should get a life because they are reporting and reporting wss every day!! They obviously are very sad people and feel in power with such a name as moderators! so they can �t keep working! We appreciate your work very much!
I deleted all my wss because of something it doesn �t make sense to mention it again. But I �d be uploading more soon.

So keep ulpoading your great works!

10 Jun 2009     

victor
Spain

Cuchinerita,

You want moderators not to be rude, but you are being very rude, aren �t you?

Would you like other users to judge your personal life?

10 Jun 2009     

Princess.Fiona
Argentina

Well, maybe you should see what some write! I was judged already!!! by REALLY rude "moderators"...that �s why I deleted my wss! My point is ...some "moderator" are not teachers.. as they can�t judge the usefulness of some wss because they have no idea about methodology...etc etc! not even mentioning phonetics!

10 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Cuchinerita,
By experience, I can tell you that most moderators (and members) here are dedicated teachers who are not glued to their chairs.
Your posts here are exactly the same as you accuse people of doing: being rude.

I really wish you �d see what �s positive about this free (thanks Victor!) site that over more than a year has made me a better teacher, not that I was bad to start with.

10 Jun 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I don �t want to get into a fight with anyone.

I don �t want to vent my anger, in fact, there is no anger.

I just felt that the removal of my wss wasn �t justified - and since the message I got was automatic and anonymous there was no one I could turn to. So I opened this forum to explain myself and to contact those who are waiting for the rest of the set.

Maybe it would be better if instead of getting an anonymous message about one �s wss being deleted, one would be asked to explain the origin of one �s worksheets within 24 hours. That might help to avoid hard feelings or frustration.

Dorothea

10 Jun 2009     

Princess.Fiona
Argentina

My point is that some moderators should really LEARN!... Of course it �s a great site, and yes! Thank you Victor! I �m far from being rude! and in fact It �s the first time I open my mouth! in this forum because I think it �s unfair how some moderators feel empowered and feel they can report anything they DON �T like! not seeing really the usefulness of the work!
Of course Dorothea! you don´t mean to start a fight! and I don´t either! I guess we are allowed to state our opinions!? I was offended and I never said anything! But everytime I log in with intentions of uploading material, I see how, not only me, suffer some moderators...

10 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Anyone can report a printable, not just moderator! I �m so tired of members accusing moderators about that.

And edlerverein, I never felt you were starting to pick a fight.

10 Jun 2009     

Princess.Fiona
Argentina

Well, Manonski!!! anyone can report! I know!.. but who are the ones who are empowered to decide to delete a ws!!?????.......... moderators! no just any member!

10 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I wish you could see the page with reported printables. I can tell you there is not much power trip going on there. In fact it �s not as easy as it might look and when someone report for no good reasons, they are being told. Problem is, most of the time, the person who reports does not sign his/her name.
Also, when voting, moderators have the choice to leave a comment or not. I know that sometimes I don �t leave any but when I do, I always sign my name.

10 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >