Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help...    

Help...

CILB
Argentina

Help...

One of my students watches the CNN and he asked me what D-day means.... does anybody know the answer?

Thanks a lot!

10 Jun 2009      

serene
Greece

Hi CILB
Look at this:

10 Jun 2009     

saninfe
Spain

It is a generic term userd by militars to refer to  the day an attack must start.

10 Jun 2009     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

sent u a pm

10 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

D-Day referred to the attack on Normandy, it �s now used to designate a day that is looming in the future where something big is going to happen... usually something decisive.

Example:

Friday is D-Day... final exams start then.

June the 7th is D-Day, my mother-in-law is coming for a visit!

10 Jun 2009     

hedgehog
France

D Day refers to the landing of allied forces on June 6th 1944 on Normandy beaches. This year it was the 65th anniversary and Barack Obama came to France to honor the dead American soldiers and to visit the beaches which are called under American names (Omaha Beach, Utah Beach,...) and the American cemeteries. Hope this answer will be useful to you.

10 Jun 2009     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

I agree with Zora

you are engaged. when is your D- day?  ( "Day-Day", or "Day of Days") when are you going to marry ? special day, can be good or bad, but always special or important.

10 Jun 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Doomsday??

10 Jun 2009     

CILB
Argentina

Thanks for your help. It was really useful.
Love.

Cecilia

10 Jun 2009