Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Some rude moderators! who don ´t give a chance to new members! The old ones feel they are like a clan or something!?     

Some rude moderators! who don ´t give a chance to new members! The old ones feel they are like a clan or something!?

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

I totally agree with Victor.

Maybe some people don ´t mind being copied. Good for them. But other people just don ´t want that, and we have the right to decide by being asked for permission.

As the owner of this page said: Asking for permission is very easy. That is the least you can do if you want to use other people𠏋 work.

He also said: All worksheets here are copyrighted by their authors. If you don ´t mind other users copying your designs, other users could do. They have the right to be asked first.

I hope this is clear enough. We are not kids who need written rules all the time.

But,in case of doubt, now you have the rules about this matter WRITTEN BY VICTOR.

What else do you need?

11 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I know people may have a different opinion, so I always ask for permission when I want to use another person ´s layout or clipart.

Now it ´s gonna be easier, since we have rules stated by Victor.

Have a good night.

Zailda Coirano

11 Jun 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

I think , what is most important in a ws is the content rather than the layout.Yet , we may spend much time in coming with an attractive layout.

So instead of removing the  ws , mena  can send a PM to the one who used her lay out , and the other should have asked for her permission.

11 Jun 2009     

Katiana
Spain

I totally agree with what Victor has said. Some time ago somebody stole the layout of one of my worksheets. I reported it as stolen and even asked in the forum for your opinion (http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6663). To my surprise some members answered me saying that I should be proud that my layout had been taken over. In the end the ws with my stolen layout was not removed, so I𠍿 very pleased that Victor has stated the rules clearly. However, I also want to say that these rules must apply to all members in the same way, either if they are new or well known ones. It is most unfair that moderators vote for or against the removal of a ws according to whether the owner of the stolen ws is much appreciated here or not. ALL MEMBERS ARE EQUAL �. Let𠏋 not do as the pigs in Animal Farm by George Orwell. They wrote a rule that said:

𨯗LL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL, BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS�.

11 Jun 2009     

isabelzr
Spain

I agree, that the rules are the rules and must be equal for all the members. Stolen worksheet should be removed. But what about this:
Do you think that it isn ´t an English resource? . You write numbers, review colours... It ´s not stolen but it has been remove 3 days ago 

Comments:

It is cute and useful for young learners. Have you heard about interdisciplinarity? DO NOT REMOVE IT!!!

If they were just numbers instead of equations we would say it was an ESL resource for young learners--I say what is the problem of combining math with learning English-Do NOT remove-Douglas

maths it is

I agree + obviously taken from the net

a math worksheet

11 Jun 2009     

Katiana
Spain

To stexstme

What has happened to Mena is not the first time that has happened here, it𠏋 happened to me and to other members and I´m afraid we were not treated in the same way since moderators decided not to remove the ws that had been stolen from us. So I repeat again that everybody must be treated in the same way.

11 Jun 2009     

Katiana
Spain

I also agree with isabelzr, why should a ws be removed when there are people that clearly say it is useful or might be useful?

11 Jun 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Good morning to you all. I did not want to participate in this discussion because I have said so many times before what I think about this issue that I did not want to repeat myself. My opinion is once again stated in my comment to the reported worksheet in question, which you can see above, and, besides, from the moment the member apologised to me and made me believe it wouldn ´t happen again things were sorted out for me and I ´ve never thought of it again!

However, I ´ve changed my mind, because I believe reality is being distorted. My dear katiana, I do not think I was  treated differently from you or anyone else in this site. People have shown again and again how much they care about you, so what makes you think that they should vote for the removal of a worksheet with a layout copied from me and not for the removal of a worksheet with a layout copied from you?

The reason why the outcome in similar situations is different, as in this case, has to do NOT with people ´s preferences, for I believe the great majority vote as professionals, independently of their personal feelings towards the member behind the worksheet, but with the fact that some members do not vote according to the rules, but rather on what they feel it is correct.

Look at the comments on the reported worksheet and you can easily see my point. While there are some members that like me don ´t approve of copying layouts but vote for the worksheet not to be removed because they believe rules are to be followed if we do not want to create unfair situations, other members vote according to their beliefs, which ends up leading to the unintentional situation in which sometimes the same worksheet is  deleted, sometimes not. Consequently, people are, in the end, treated differenly.

People, therefore, appear here at the END of the process, never at the beginning. They are not the cause, but the consequence. No one votes based on the person in question, but on the situation being judged. And to prove that my dear katiana, we have your example. Had we voted based on how much we love and care about you, the worksheet with the layout copied from yours would have been deleted. But it wasn ´t. People voted according to the rules or according to their convictions, but never on a personal preference basis.

We also have the example above to prove it - two different types of voters: the ones like me who said do not remove because they follow rules although they do not agree with copy and paste, and the other ones who said remove because they follow their beliefs. In no comment can you see anything which denotes that the voter had in mind a personal preference for me. Much on the contrary, they were coherent with their previous votes and voted for the worksheet to stay, just as I did.

So, if we have George Orwell ´s animal farm here, the lack of rules is probably the cause. Never the moderators. I hope I could prove that, although I ´m tired and am not sure if I was able to make myself clear.

I could not finish without thanking victor for always being there for us. Now we have a new rule concerning layouts and if people follow it the system will be fairer.

Lots of love to you all,
mena

11 Jun 2009     

Katiana
Spain

Thanks dear Mena for your answer, although a bit long to read after lunch. When I wrote my comment before, I had no intention of blaming anybody for what had happened to me or other members here with the same situation. I only wanted to point out that this system of moderating is not always fair due to a lot of different reasons. Moderators are human beings with different points of view and different feelings. It is impossible that we totally agree on everything. I never understood why you and other members did not consider a ws as stolen when the layout of it had been copied by somebody else. I have always believed that a ws is a whole and we can´t separate the contents from the style, layout, cliparts. If any of these parts is copied, the ws should definitely be considered as stolen. I didn㦙 need Victor to write the rule clearly here, it is a question of common sense. Can you separate the lyrics from the music in a song? Wouldn㦙 it be considered as copied if either part is taken over? For me the layout, the pictures in a ws are like the music in a song. When I reported that ws with my layout I was really shocked at the reaction of some members here. Why was that ws not deleted in the end? I don´t know but I felt that I was treated in a different way from what others were treated before or from the way you have been treated now. People should never be treated differently when the situation is the same. If this happens as it has already happened I think it𠏋 high time we considered whether this system of moderating is fair or not. Luckily I have had the chance to see how much some people appreciate me here, but I can´t help wondering why with the same situation the final result was not the same, not only in my case, but also in many others I can see every day. I have decided that except for cases when a ws is clearly stolen from another member, whole or part of it, I won㦙 take part in the moderating process. I insist again that we all have the right to be treated equally, if we can´t get this, something must be wrong here. Thanks again to Victor and to everybody who has given their opinion. Have a nice day and big hugs.

11 Jun 2009     

Davicito
Peru

I want to coment something. I think that this web site is for sharing material, worksheets and information but there is a girl who wants to get all the points and she thinks of being the owner of this web site. she says you have stolen my worksheet, that is a common expression that she uses every time. I think we shouldn ´t copy the information of other members � worksheets, but the color or style, please or you have invented the colors and shapes that are in the program (microsoft word). please if you don ´t want that people use the same colors or shapes , don ´t publish them. I can see that your main objective is not share material, your objective is to get points and points and be the queen of these web side.

2 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3