Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hello, Everyone    

Hello, Everyone

MReyes
United States

Hello, Everyone

I hope you are enjoying your day,

I have a question:

When filling the account... we have to choose a flag, but i don �t know if i have to choose the one where i was born or the one where i live

which one should i choose?

thanks

hugs and kisses

11 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Well, I am using Hong Kong because I live here.I think that is the norm around here.

11 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

We are divided on that one actually. I prefer to use my Canadian flag, although I am not in Canada. Many of us have decided that because we can �t have two flags, we could say in our profiles where we are from or where we are teaching... Smile

11 Jun 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

I am portuguese and also teaching in Portugal, but would definitely use the portuguese flag no matter where I teach.

In my opinion, the flag should show the origin of the members and not where they teach. I agree with Zora - we can have one flag and say we are teaching in another country in our profile. 

Hug

11 Jun 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Thanks for asking. This one �s been baffling me too.

I �m British but currently live in Greece. However, I �m leaving for England soon, so I think I �ll just change my flag anyways.

EDIT: Yikes! I changed the flag but I hate the way the British flag looks in my avatar. It just looks wrong, so I´m sticking with the Greek one. lol.

11 Jun 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

This is a fascinating topic!!! I have thought about it but didn �t dare raising it... 
Most of us, I guess, choose the flag of their own country, no matter where they live. I �ve been here for a few months now and I �ve noticed that some members have changed their flag. In some cases, it seems to be a political statement - which I can actually understand. I �m sensitive to this issue and I support the existence of such a state (some of the members will know what I mean). So it �s fine by me LOL!!! Actually, why doesn �t it appear in the list of countries???
I appreciate people here for being people, first of all, then for being - no doubt about it! - great teachers and in some cases amazing artists. My comments prove it...
And I �m truly, sincerely happy when I get comments from people with "special flags" - It �s a step towards peace, tolerance, love. Thanks!!!!
The flag gives a little bit more insight to the person (especially when there isn �t any further information). As far as I �m concerned I have posted my picture and not an avatar,  the country I �ve been living in for 20 years, and a little bit of information about myself. I wish I could read some more information about  everyone on their private page...  

11 Jun 2009     

sylboy
Germany

Thanks for your post to this topic, Aimee. I go a hundred percent with you.

Cheers... Mathias

11 Jun 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

I put the Spanish one when I first joined because that �s where I live.  Then however I realised how few Brits there are here and how strong the Spanish contingent is so I decided to change.  Rozianne I think the British flag looks nice Thumbs Up lol. 

11 Jun 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Sazzag!

It does indeed look lovely with your avatar - I meant nothing in my remark about the British flag other than that my avatar is of a small fishing harbour I love. It �s in Greece + just doesn �t sit well with the British flag. kwim?

Gee, I hope the Queen still invites me over for tea at Buckingham this summer ;)

12 Jun 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

Nope no tea for you rozianne!!!  No tea and no cucumber sandwiches.  Wink

12 Jun 2009