Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHAT IS THE MORAL LESSON OF THE STORY    

WHAT IS THE MORAL LESSON OF THE STORY

areenas
France

WHAT IS THE MORAL LESSON OF THE STORY

HI all ...
good morning to the best members i �ve ever known

i �m asking you for a help
i wanna know what is the moral lesson of this story
( i already download this reading passage from this site )

Jerry Baldwin was 30 years old. He was the manager of a pizza restaurant. He lived in an apartment near the restaurant. He walked to and from the work. When it was raining, he took the bus. Jerry loved gangsters movies. He went to the theater or watched the new movie three or four times. He also bought the video at Barney�s Video Store. Jerry had a home collection of over 1,000 gangsters videos. Old ones, new ones, colored, black and white, English, Spanish, and Japanese- he loved them all. He could tell you the name of the movie, the director, the stars, and the plot. Jerry finally decided that he would like to own a gun, just like the gangsters. Therefore, he saved his money for a couple of years. Then he went to a gun store and bought a used 38-caliber revolver for US$ 300.  The following Saturday morning, he went to the gun club to practice with his new revolver. He was in the club for only 10 minutes when he accidentally dropped his pistol. The gun went off, and the bullet went into Jerry�s right knee. Jerry now walks with a limp and a cane, just like some gangsters.                                   

thanks  ....                                                              

12 Jun 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Perhaps the point is you should think about what you wish for.
But I honestly don �t see a point to this story. It �s not as if he
shot himself on purpose. If he had done that, then perhaps
he crossed the line between wishful thinking and reality.
But I really don �t see the point or the moral of this story.

12 Jun 2009     

susiebelle
United States

This is a tough one, but maybe the moral could be:

Some things you aspire for are not as good they seemed once you obtain them.

12 Jun 2009     

krkoza
Turkey

what about an advice for the kids inorder not to act like gangster or follow him !!

and thanks in advance

12 Jun 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I think the point is that you shouldn �t confuse fantasy and reality.
And the other really really important lesson (maybe Americans will hate me for this? Please, don �t) is that guns have to be forbbiden, because their possession enhances the probability of accidents and killings)

12 Jun 2009     

krkoza
Turkey

BLIND IMMITATING

DON �T MIX BETWEEN THE WISHES AND THE IMMITATING

:)

12 Jun 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

There is some moral here but I can really pinpoint it. One aspect is that obsession with something tends to lead to trouble/harm etc.

12 Jun 2009     

ximons
Brazil

I believe that moral is: guns are dangerous for those are not able and ready to use them. Leave them for policemen . On the movies all is possible, but true life is different. Ximons

12 Jun 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

Watch out what you watch! It may effect you negativly.

12 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

My opinion is that the moral of the story is that you should accept the consequences of your actions - everything happens for a reason

12 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Life imitating art

12 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >