Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning online exercises > Exercises on line    

Exercises on line

teacherlupe
Spain

Exercises on line

Hello everybody,

First, I want to say that the exercises on line for the students is a very great idea, and I like a lot for my students, but today One of my students was revising exercises about adjectives and she find an activity cold and hot, she had to write the opposite to the adjective, and she found a word bitch, how can I expalin the meaning, please.

Thanks in advance,

Guadalupe

12 Jun 2009      

frenchfrog
France

I think you must tell her to be careful when she uses this term!!
It can be perfectly acceptable when it refers to a female dog but it is a very offensive term when referring to a woman!!

Be honest with her! She could probably look up the word in the dictionary anyway. I would never teach swear words to my students but, let �s face it, we don �t live in a polite world. I also refuse to teach this kind of language because it can be heard so often in movies, songs... Most of the time, students already know these words anyway... Unhappy Two or three years ago, a pupil came to me and asked me what �Fuck � meant. Well, I did not have time to explain at all since his friend managed to do so perfectly well... UnhappyCry

If your pupil is young, she will be probably embarrassed when she knows the meaning of the word... or maybe not... Confused

Have a nice day!

12 Jun 2009     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

I believe frenchfrog �s explanation is quite enough. A bitch is a female dog, just that. But even in this case, I �ve been observing that native speakers prefer referring to them as dogs, as simple as that. Calling a woman by bitch, though is extremely ofensive. I don �t think you should translate it to your native language, just explain it �s a swearing.

12 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Situations like this can be tricky because this word actually has several meanings, mostly slang, and they are frequently heard on TV.  It really depends on the age of the student and the context of learning.  With a younger student I would explain the meaning relating to dogs and with adults I would go into all meanings making reference to the internet for further info.  Adults often use these words inappropriately and I believe that we have a duty to point this out, within reason of course.  Nevertheless, there are some words I just would not go into but this is not one of them.

12 Jun 2009     

P.Hunt
Italy

When I was teaching school children in North Italy, I had one kid who was obsessed with rap.  He would search out translations of lyrics from the web of all his favourite songs.  Imagine my suprise when he came in one day with a comparative translation that said �niggers �= �ragazzi � (for those of you who don �t speak Italian, ragazzi means guys, as in, �hey guys, let �s go �.  I was horrified by the idea of this kid going to America and using this word thinking it was harmless.    If any kid listens to modern music or American movies they will be exposed to most of these words, so it is good to be prepared for when they bring them up in lessons. :)

12 Jun 2009