Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hopscotch - turned into a language game    

Hopscotch - turned into a language game

Ivona
Serbia

To those who pmd about how the game is played, here you go:
- draw a glass, a bed, a tv, a schoolbag, etc on the ground
- divide the ss into two teams (in my case into 2 groups with two teams respectively, so that each S got to play longer)
- find two flat stones for each team. or you can do with only one.
- team 1 starts by S1 throwing the stone on field N1 (drink). S1 hops onto the field on one foot and pauses there to say a sentence (I drink milk every day.), then continues the hopping till the end. on the way back, S1 picks up the stone and lets S2 from his/her team to throw the stone onto field N2, and so on.
- when team 1 makes a mistake (sentence, misses the field with the stone, hops with both feet on a single square), they let team 2 play.
TIP: If the ss are fluent in making up that kind of sentences, and if you �re dealing with a smaller group, you can ask them to repeat all the previous �field sentences � before moving on ... but you will be losing in the pace of the game. They still do get enough practice this way, since they do tend to make a lot of mistakes, like coordinating their feet - when to hop on one foot, and when on both feet. In pic N4 above, the two chubby boys had a hard time hopping, lol!

@POPINA The idea about the clock is great, but how do you decide who will be the �hour hand� and who will be the �second hand�?? If you have more TPR ideas, i would love to hear them. I�m a TPR fan.

13 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

What wonderful ideas!

I am giong to use the hpscotch idea to get my children to remember adjective, verb etc terminology. 

I think this would work for maths as well! 

Have the students call out a times table based on the number!

Oh.... my creative juices just got flowing!

13 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Ahhh, people, are you allowed anything in your countries? Tongue You can come over here, and do what �s allowed and even what �s not allowed. The �biggies � are too busy with their personal affairs and making money over night, that they don �t care about law enforcement. But, let �s not get into that.
To those who are not allowed to draw in their school yards, you can always use FCs on the classroom floor. There �s always a way �out �, even if you �re in. Wink Just SWITCH FROM CONVERGENT (there�s only 1 answer) to DIVERGENT THINKING (there�s more than one answer), and you�ll be playing the game in no time! Thumbs Up

13 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

a bit of masking tape on carpet or lino always comes off easy.

I often use it to make games on the floor!

<masking tape is like packing tape that you put on boxes - I use it when painting - you stick it on the wall or window so you get a nice clean line when finished - it is not very sticky and about as wide as your thumb and brown>

13 Jun 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

You �re just great, Ivona!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 Jun 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Ivona,
You always have brilliant ideas!!! And you are always so kind to share them with us! A big �Thank you! � for what you do. Indeed, you were born to be a teacher!
Gabitza

13 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Btw, (re the PM i got earlier) do NOT think that this is a game exclusively for the little ones! Teens also need TPR, having in mind all the erupting hormones in their bodies. Just give it a try and do not underestimate them!

13 Jun 2009     

profeglori
Spain

excelent idea. 

13 Jun 2009     

akva
Slovakia

greeat!!!

14 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2