Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > THERE IS or THERE ARE?    

THERE IS or THERE ARE?

donapeter
Romania

It is Subject-verb agreement. So, if the subject is singular, the verb must be singular,too.
You have to identify the Subject, than....the rest is a piece of cake!!!
D

13 Jun 2009     

Stellam
Argentina

I VOTE FOR : THERE IS A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE ... NO DOUBT!!
Greetings from Argentina!
Stella

13 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

We say there �s a large number of people - so surely there is would be correct.

although

There are a lot of people  - sounds better than �there is a lot of people �

I don �t know - im just a poor native speaker who gets bambozled by why it matters?

13 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

to vickiii

there IS a large NUMBER (sg.) of people
there ARE a lot of PEOPLE (pl.)

EDIT: again to vickiii, people can be sg when referring to a nation ..

13 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

hmm - but surely people is always plural??

13 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

We all know how flexible and ever-changing and adapting English is...

Words and structures that were unacceptable yesterday are perfectly fine today, and even get into dictionaries and grammar books. English is living and changing.

The first thing that springs to my mind id "There IS a large number of people" because "number" is singular.

However, maybe things depend on what we want to stress?

Imagine stressing "number":

"There IS a large number of people..."

And then imagine stressing "people":

"There ARE a large number of people who just can �t get away from ESL Printables and get some housework done".

Is it possible that both are correct?..

Because neither seems completely wrong.

Or maybe "There is a large number" is more traditional, and "There are a large number" is more everyday language? 

Or maybe if we do say "There are a large number..." the phrase must always be followed by the object ("people"), however the phrase "There is a large number." is fine on its own.

Just thoughts... 

13 Jun 2009     

rach81
Philippines

Hi D,

I �m definitely sure that The sentence "There are a number of people" is correct

Yes, it is true that in subject-verb-agreement you have to identify the subject and the verb agrees with it. but there is always an exemption in every rule. like for example in the rule

"Fractions used as subjects in a suntence, the verb agrees with the "of phrase" in the sentence.

Ex. Three fourths of the cake was eaten. (cake is singular so the verb should be singular but the subject is three fourths not cake.)
Ex. Three fourths of the cakes were eaten. (this refers to different kinds of cakes. The subject here is three fourths and not cakes. )

I hope you get what I mean.

hugs 

rach c",)

13 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/98141-there-vs-there.html

They are both right I think...  according to whether you are using a grammatical or notional concord

Wink

I have to say though as a kiwi I think just like Vickiii on this one...

ALSO when I type BOTH sentences into word and use English UK as my checker the IS version comes up with a grammatical green error line and the ARE version does not.

13 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

The question is: There is/are a large number of people there

Well, if we remove  large we get: there is/are a number of people there

I would say:
incorrect: there is a number of people there
correct:  there are a number of people there

Grammar Guru Swan confirms this but points out that there is is used in informal language for plural subjects.

I �m a native speaker and I �ll certainly be listening to hear what I say next time I say it spontaneously.

13 Jun 2009     

rach81
Philippines

I �m not a native speaker of the langauge, but I definitely agree with you Jayho. That is what I have learned in college and what my references say.

13 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3