Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how can i improve my students “ language???!!!    

how can i improve my students “ language???!!!

zeina monzer
Lebanon

how can i improve my students “ language???!!!

hello everyone,

i teach english for students in grades 6,7 and 8.

they are blind and partially blind students. i also have students with learning disabilities.

the problem is that their english language is very weak an i want to improve it

i tried many ways some of them improved but others have shoooooort memory :(

i need your advice please

14 Jun 2009      

verybouncyperson
Spain

I would suggest working with songs.  Somebody suggested this site on the forum before.
T :)

14 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

you could also use sounds where we usually use flashcards (lots of sounds can be dowloaded on the net), and all sense activities - e. g. sts hold an object in their hands and describe it (if you “re working on body parts, give them a toy animal and have them say how many legs it has, whether they are long/short, etc. and then guess the animal; then you can slowly develop language skills by adding discussions about what this animal can/can+t do, where they live, what they can do...)... you can also use the sense of smell - bring different objects and have them guess what it is by using smell... depending on how advanced their knowledge level gets, you can combine those and have a creative story-making workshop - one st pulls out a dragon and guesses it, the other smells an apple and guesses it, the third touches a silk scarf and guesses it, the fourth listens to the sound of a woman screaming and you play them some medieval music, and soon you have them all creating a story, because each of them has to say a sentence about their task as if writing a story and it has to continue the story line of the people before...And soon you “ve got e. g. a sad dragon who loved apples and went to steal some from the castle orchard, and a princess saw him and screamed... while she was running she lost her silk scarf, which was carried off by the wind to another country where a prince found it....yadayadayada... you get the idea - maybe it helps... (donĀ“t be afraid of using too much, use some at first and then gradually add vocabulary - you can start with naming animals, then add simple body parts, then add big-small, then long short, then good-bad-dangerous...- usually when things are repeated using all senses itĀ“s easier to remember them)
have a lovely Sunday
Anita

14 Jun 2009     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

thanks for your helpful replies

14 Jun 2009