Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help    

Help

eng789
Israel

Help

I realize that this isn �t esl but...

I �m lousy at languages - I hated French in Junior High - couldn �t wait till I could drop it.  Sorry guys - please don �t take it personal.

All I remember is - "Bonjour, j �suis arouz d �faire votre conosaunce"  and I �m sure it �s all wrong.  I think it means - I am pleased to meet you.

But,   I �m going to Rome next month  and I would like to learn some simple touristy  Italian,  any suggestions about how I can do it.

Thanks 

14 Jun 2009      

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Italian is Similar to English!

English is a Germanic language with a large Romantic vocabulary. This means the structure of English sentences comes from a German background while many words come from Latin. Italian is a Romantic language. Because of this similarity, there are literally thousands of words Italian and English share. Many are virtually unchanged and are simply pronounced differently by the two peoples.

When listening to or reading Italian, keep your strong knowledge of pronunciation in mind. Often you can discern many words from conversations and understand what the people are speaking about even if you know very little Italian.

Italian Phrases for Travelers

These basic Italian phrases for travelers will help you get around and communicate in Italy. The pronunciation guide is only approximate. Arrivederci (ah-ree-vay-der-chee) - Good bye (formal).

• Bene (behn-ay) - Well/good.
  • Buon giorno! (bwon gee-orno) - Good day.
  • Buona sera! (bwon-uh say-ruh) - Good afternoon/evening.
  • Ciao! (chow) - Hello or goodbye (informal, but used often).
  • Come sta? (koh-may stah) - How are you?
  • Sto bene (stoh behn-ay) - I am good
  • Parla inglese? (par-lah een-glay-zay) - Do you speak English?
  • Dov ��...? (doh-veh) - Where is...
  • Per favore (pehr fah-voh-ray) - Please
  • Grazie! (grah-tseeay) - Thanks!
  • Male (mah-lay) - Bad.
  • Mi scusi (mee skoo-zee) - Excuse me.
  • No (no) - No.
  • Si (see) - Yes.
  • Prego. (pray-go) - You �re welcome. Sometimes used as a polite phrase for permission ("May I?" or "If you please."), such as a waiter saying "prego" before taking your empty plate.
  • Quanto e �... (kwahn-toh ay) - How much is...
  • Quanto costa? (kwahn-toh kos-tah) - How much is it?
  • Quello (kweh-loh) - That.
  • Questo/questi (kweh-stoh/kweh-stee) - This/these.

Do not be afraid to point, mime, draw or write what you need. Also, do not be afraid of making mistakes, it is the effort that counts, and will be appreciated. Really! Remember that you are communicating with real people who are just like you. The Italian people and their language are structured around enjoying every moment of life. Have fun with it!

14 Jun 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Je suis heureuse de faire votre connaissance Wacko

14 Jun 2009     

eng789
Israel

linlin - I said I was lousy -  but I should get a bit of credit for remembering    1  line. Embarrassed
Wow, ladybug,  thanks - now I have something to keep me busy when school finishes.

14 Jun 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

You could learn some important phrases like.

Buon Giorno - Good Morning
Buona Sera - Good Evening
Buona Notte - Good Night
Me piacerebbe.............. - I would Like.................
Grazie..................Thanks
Tu sei bella. You are beautiful
Una donna...................... A woman
Un �uomo........................ A man
Un bambino.................. A child
Piazza......................... Square
Prego............................ Your � re welcome
Pronto.......................... When you answer the phone and says "Hello"
Cosa stai faccendo? .................What are you doing?
Un bacio................................ A kiss
Un abbraccio forte.........................A hug
Come stai? ...........................How are you?
Sto bene............................ I am ok
Mi fa male la testa...........................I �ve got a headache
C �e l �ho fame.................................... I am hungry
VAdo a dormire................................I am going to bed
Sono stanco(a)..............................I am tired
Pi� bello....................................... So beautiful
Sto uscendo.................................I �m leaving.

I hope it helps you. Any other question? tell me and maybe I can help you

14 Jun 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

MY SUGGESTION :
I would suggest learning the numbers in Italian. I LOVE Italy and have spent several weeks there. What I found I needed the most was numbers, I could manage with almost everything else, especially as French is my mother tongue and there are a lot of similiarities. But numbers.....prices, bus numbers, times of trains etc.......were most important. Just google them up and print them.

14 Jun 2009     

eng789
Israel

Thank you stexstme   and   lomasbello .

un abbraccio forte - for you all   Hug

14 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Barb
As it has been said before, Italian is a Latin language - it means it is easy for Portuguese people, as well as SPANISH. We share a lot of similar / common vocabulary.
Anyway, just for laugh, let me tell you something:when I was a teenager, in my 15/16, I studied a little bit of Latin. One of the silly sentences I remember is this one:
Roma primo parva eras ( not sure about spelling).
Now, if someone, with no knowledge of Latin, but being a Latin speaker ( Potug/Spanis/French/Italian/ Romanian etc )would like to translate this, what could this mean?

well, let me give you a straight translation into Port.
Roma - Roma ( the capital city )
Primo - cousin
Parva - stupid
eras - was
????????????????????
Do you want a fair translation? Ok, here it goes
At first, Rome was a small city.

Now, believe it or not, anyone who can speak English can go anywhere.

Another word I can teach you is
SINISTRA

in Italian it is left, in Portuguese it means something dangerous, dark, forbidden, not to follow, not to believe.
The evil forces are " sinistras " in Portuguese, but in Italian it would mean that they are left... and with all these political issues around, this would be a great deal to deal with.
Enjoy your holidays and be sure, Italians are most amicable, just like PortugueseHug

14 Jun 2009     

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

I�m not sure but i remember that primo is first as in Italian, era is lady , parva i dont know. maybe is something like In Rome ladies are first. Just trying to deduce : )

14 Jun 2009