Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need good lesson ideas - hope you can help...    

I need good lesson ideas - hope you can help...

MartaZ
Poland

I need good lesson ideas - hope you can help...

Hi Everyone,

I �ve been teaching English for 8 years now but for the last few years I worked for a private language school. Now I �m applying for a new job in a primary school. I �ve already been to 2 interviews. Now I �m asked to carry out a lesson, which obviously will be observed :)

The problem is that the school opens in September, it dosn �t exist yet. So I have to conduct the lesson with a group of younger (kindergarten) children. They �ve been learning English for 2/3 years and that �s all I know about them. I �m not allowed to use any Polish so the activities must be easy to explain, not too complicated or confusing. The activities must be short varied.

I �m not sure what to plan so I thought I �d ask you as you alsways have fantastic ideas.
I have a few of my own but still...

Thanks in advance!!!

All the best,
Marta

14 Jun 2009      

lizet_ara
Mexico

i have lessons plans  i hope you like it

14 Jun 2009     

y_tornello
Argentina

Hi Martha, the same happened to me the other day .  I �m working at a bilingual school but with 5th formers (10 years old).  One day, one of the teachers from 2nd was absent so I had to replace her.  I didn�t have time to plan as I entered the school and they told me: today, stay with them.

But do you know HOW much they �ve learnt? they should know colours, numbers, parts of the body...

Arhgh! Anymway, I started like this:

1) I told them:

My name is Yamila,

I am 26 years old,

My favourite colour is green.

What about you?

They were all sitting (30stds) and they had to introduce themselves, standing up in their places.  This took a lot of time, and I had to ask for silence a few times, saying: Listen to you classmate.  Respect the others.  Be silent please.

2) Once they �d done so, I showed them a blank sheet of paper and a pencil:

Please, take a blank sheet of paper and a pencil.  Listen and draw:

a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig head

a short, fat body

two looooooooooooooong arms

with a small hand each

five fingers in each hand

twp short legs

with a biggggggggggggggggg foot each

(etc) this way you revise parts of the body and improve listening skills

then they can colour it and describe it orally to the rest (one or two of them)

To start with...

Do you think this is good?

14 Jun 2009     

MartaZ
Poland

Thanks Yamila! Thanks a lot for help!

I like the �dictation idea �! It should work. They are probably experts at colours and body parts :)
I was thinking about preparing some simple flashcards with basic vocab to teach or revise and then play a game in which I stick the pictures to the board, then I ask the students to close their eyes and I remove a few of the pictures. The Ss look and say which pictures disappeared.

Do you think these activities will impress the observing people?

14 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

To add to y_tornello ideas, I would teach them head and shoulders. I have a version that has another verse so beside Head and shoulders knees and toes, eyes, ears, mouth and nose, I also have this verse:
Ankle, elbows, feet and seat
hair, hips, chin, cheeks

The songs starts slowly and then the pace gets quicker and quicker. It �s a hit with my students.

I can email you the song if you want. Just give me your email in a private message.

14 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

If they �ve been learning for 2-3 years already they really should know a lot. They �re right. Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a story instead (maybe the Bear Hunt - it will be autumn, it has lots of nature vocab in it, lots of actions and it �s easy to show and prepare pictures for it... plus, if they �re preschoolers, they may know even how to recognize key words written in capital letters on colourful paper so you can have them match flashcards with word cards. With the Bear Hunt, you can have lots of repetitions in different ways, you talk, you act out and they �help � you; you talk with them, they point to pictures; you talk, they act out; you act out they talk; you talk but make mistakes, they correct you; you jumble the pics and as you talk they put them in the right order... The coloring dictation is perfect for consolidation then, and you can have word/card games at the end...

Anita

14 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Oh! Oh! (excitedly) In case you find out what language they �re already familiar with, you can play "Let �s go fishing" (it has nothing to do with Go Fish game). It �s great fun and not many people know it! You can download the vid here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jy2ejywv0ye/ms fishing.mp4
(i hope you can play MP4 files ... )

14 Jun 2009