Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is there a way to get short versions of popular movies ?    

Is there a way to get short versions of popular movies ?

MarionG
Netherlands

Is there a way to get short versions of popular movies ?

I cannot imagine we are the only ones faced with this problem...
We would love to show a movie in school once in a while (like for the end of the year for instance...) but most movies are at least 1 hour and 30 minutes long. It is too long to show them during a class (we have a double lesson once a week but it still is too long...)
I am sure others have the same problem and I hope someone here knows of a solution....I kind of hope someone can tell me that there is a database of abridged versions of popular movies.....
any one?? someone ??? anywhere????

15 Jun 2009      

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi Marion,
 I have the same problem and that is what I do: I  use single scenes from  an original DVD. I isolate the scene I want to work on , and I create  ws.

I wrote WS for the  whole film Dead Poets Society  (scene by scene) and if you want you can download them ( it �s free)   here http://deadpoetssocietyactivities.pbworks.com/  (intermediate/ advanced).

OR:

I bought  Scene it, the DVD game and I think it �s great!
There are short clips and after each clip a question. Goole these words:  Scene it  DVD game and you �llfind it. I bought it from eBay because it is cheaper.
I hope this helps.
Lancillotta

15 Jun 2009     

sylboy
Germany

Hi Marion and lancillotta,

Coming back to the point of "Dead Poets Society". One of our publishing houses published an adapted version of the book, and you might be able to order it through Amazon if you like. The ISBN is 978-3-12-579690-4. I used it successfully with one of my classes. Students read the chapters, and after speaking about them, I showed them sequences of it on my laptop (every week a little more) in English with English subtitles. My students were impressed and loved that very much.

One semester ago, I did the same with "Oliver Twist". We used a penguin readers book for the written script, also adapted version.

My next project from September on is "Angela �s Ashes".

Get back to me if you need more help on this topic.

Cheers... Mathias

15 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I guess one of the (harder) ways would be to use any of the film making programmes (i use Power Director, but i believe there are better ones), choose the scenes, edit, produce, and that should be it ...

15 Jun 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was actually hoping (in vain maybe) that any of you knows about the existence of simply shortened versions of movies ready for class room use..
My son has just taught me how to download videos from you tube so I �ll probably be burning some short clips onto disc to show the students in class on a dvd player. (we have no internet/computers in class)..........

15 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Marion,
If you can get a TV version of a film it is edited to run within the 2 hour time slot.  A one hour TV show actually runs about 42 minutes so if you take a 90 minute film for TV, it runs about 70 minutes.  It �s not a big difference but it does cut down on some of the content. 

15 Jun 2009     

Silvy_E
United States

Hi, you can use movie segments instead of the whole movie. I have some if you are interesting, which I �ve posted on the website; but I can e mail them to you

Bye now,

Silvy

15 Jun 2009