Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with a song    

Help with a song

anamarbelen
Spain

Help with a song

Hello, colleagues,

I am translating the song Stand by me - Playing for change into Spanish. Do you remember the video that a member of the community recommended us to see in Youtube. I have a problem with this line:

Stand la la nomie, oh won �t you stand, la la nomie,

There is an African choir singing it. How would you translate nomie? Or maybe it has no meaning? Please, help me. Thanks in advance.

By the way, you can find the lyrics in the following link:

Greetings from Spain,

Ana Mar

15 Jun 2009      

Lana.
Ireland

I �m a great fan of Playing for Change, and I �m looking for the answer to your question now, however somehow I have a feeling that it is not quite "la la nomie" they are singing...

15 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Sorry, haven �t founf the lyrics, but found something else:

http://www.coffeerooms.com/onmusic/2009/05/playing-for-change.html

15 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Here �s the version Ana is talking about... It �s minute 3.44 when that part is shown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh7YyoDD138

And they �re saying (I think) "Sha la la namie"... It´s perhaps some tribal language?? Maybe somebody from South Africa can help her?

Smile

15 Jun 2009     

hedgehog
France

if we speak of the same song, you should go on youtube. Here is the link to ths song with the lyrics

I hope this will help you. Good Luck
Anne

15 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

It�s not part of the lyrics hedgehog... it�s a choral background part... and just to let you know that Nofx version has swearing in it that I don�t believe the original version has... Confused

15 Jun 2009     

anamarbelen
Spain

Thanks a bunch to all of you, Lana, Zora, Hedgehog and Goodnesses, who has sent me the following pm.

"That is Afrikaner Language from South Africa. It is a mixture of English, some German and mainly Zoulou language. The expression is the same as "stand by me""

I know we mustn�t make personal messages public, so Goodnesses, please, forgive me, it is not my purpose to offend you, but I just thought that your answer could interest other members.

Anyway, I am very grateful with all of you, always willing to help.
Good night from Spain!

15 Jun 2009