Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MIND GAP    

MIND GAP

raperonzolo
Italy

MIND GAP

Hi friends, I have a big problem: Look at the following sentences

Why are the steamer and the frequency machine useful?

Why is the steamer and the frequency machine useful?

Is the first the correct answer?
I �ve this doubt because... there are cats and dogs, but there is a cat and a dog

15 Jun 2009      

Portugal

Both are correct, because the verb can agree either to the last subject or both.
I guess the same  happens with your language .

15 Jun 2009     

raperonzolo
Italy

Wacko Thank you very much! It �s true, in my language it �s the same but Italian is always different from English!  

15 Jun 2009     

ishu
Turkey

I would say "Why are the steamer and the frequency machine useful?" is the correct one.

15 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

The complete subject of the sentence is "the steamer and the frequency machine" - it is EXACTLY the same idea as "Tom and Jane" "Jerry and his brother".... SO, the answer is "are"... not "is"...

"Why are the steamer and the frequency machine useful?" is the only correct option.

16 Jun 2009     

gokceozge
Turkey

the steamer and the frequency machine are different subjects. Therefore "are" should be used in this sentence. I agree with Zora. 

16 Jun 2009     

semisy
Turkey

try to use pronoun instead of "the steamer and the frequency machine". what would you use? I think "they" .... so, the correct option is "why are the ..............?"

16 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

It is a compound subject and MUST use are for the verb.  Turn it around: The frequency machine and steamer ARE useful.  BOTH CANNOT be correct. DOH!!!!

16 Jun 2009     

mariamit
Greece

I agree with Spagman and Zora only "are" is correct. Spagman gives the best example by turning the sentence around. That �s how I was taught to find the correct  verb form also.

16 Jun 2009     

genzianella
Italy

Hi Raperonzolo! I �d say you need a plural here! It �s like: "Tom and Jane are my parents".
The same goes in Italian, you say "Paolo e Maria sono ... " not "Paolo e Maria � ..."
Hugs from Milan, where the weather is already unbearably hot and muggy!!!

16 Jun 2009