Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reporting to parents    

reporting to parents

class centre
Belarus

There is a very wise formula for conversations with parents. It goes + - +
It means begin and end the conversation with positive things.
When there is nothing positive to say about a child at the end  of the report, I just say - but he is trying his best ... or...  but she likes our lessons very much.... When speaking of poor learning - avoid strong words like NEVER, VERY, ABSOLUTELY etc. Instead of saying He never listens to my instructions, it �s better to say  When I give instructions , he often distracts and can �t get what I �ve said...
Be honest, don �t hide your worries about some student �s attitude. But show the problem from the point of view of the st �s use. have parets see that you and they are on the same side.
Good luck!
Will you tell us how it �s all been?
Natasha

16 Jun 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I agree with all the great advice everyone �s already given.  We often have meetings with parents to talk about students � behaviour and we �re always told to start with a positive comment - you can generally find anything about the student and twist it...

Most parents know their children, although they see them through rose-tinted glasses at times, so generally what you say to them won �t come as a huge surprise.

Good luck :)

16 Jun 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

check your PM

16 Jun 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

Class centre: Thanks! never say: never, very, always!

Liberybelle:
I liked your comment about not wasting time on small trivial things and about saying things in a nice way.

Vickiii: I guess I didn�t get the idea, I guess I need vacations..Dead

Ol1n3: Thanks! I�m trying to do that: to think as a mum although I�m not a mum except for my 45 years old "son" (my hubby)LOL

verybouncyperson: You�re right!Most of them know very well their children. Although my 3 years old nephew is bossy and selfish at home but at school he follows rules and is a very nice "student". 

Missveronica: pm

17 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2