Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching a very young private student    

Teaching a very young private student

katiejlm
Russian Federation

Teaching a very young private student

Hey everybody,

I teach a Korean family here in Russia (two children aged 8 and 6) and their mother has asked me to try and teach their younger sister too as she will start English language kindergarten in September. She is only 3 years old! I have no experience whatsoever with children so young but the Mother is really desperate and as she speaks neither Russian nor English it is hard for her to find another teacher. I �m happy to give it a shot but do you have any ideas how I can go about this?

The mother has agreed I will only teach for 20 minutes at a time and the girl already knows the alphabet. I don �t speak a word of Korean!

Thanks in advance for your help - I will really appreciate it :)

16 Jun 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Kids from 6 mo to 8 years old are like sponges. The learn so easily!

You can google for techniques and material but basically they  learn through handling material, playing, singing, role-playing...
Drawing, colouring,  painting, describing, telling a story (by looking at pictures), making up a story and drawing it to retell it afterwards are all good activities for them.

16 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Kids that small are great to teach, but you were right not to plan long sessions, although in time, she might get interested and accustomed to the �work �. The important thing for her is not to feel like she �s learning - she has to be PLAYING THE LANGUAGE. Use flashcards, memory cards, picture books, audio tapes, cartoons, short clips on you tube (if that �s available) -there are fantastic CD-roms for small kids to learn English(Reader Rabbit, Wordbird, Winnie the Pooh, Dora the Explorer) and online practice is available (my kid liked Julia �s Rainbow corner), even toys (put them in a bag or bow and pull them out, she can do it with her eyes closed, so it will be a surprise for her, and she has to name them), google fingerplays, rhymes and songs for preschoolers(as Tere-arg says, lots of materials are available and useful)... The important thing about repeating words is to use different voices - kids will repeat the word 7 times if they can say it so you can �t hear them, shout it, say it like a spoiled princess, or like a big bear, or 5 times very fast... Add movement to rhymes or songs (like �sign � language - little things to help her remember the words). Avoid using words like: repeat, what did we do last time, what did we learn.... use words �can you do better than me... �, �let �s play... �, �come, sit on the carpet �(they like to play sitting on the floor). Set vocabulary you will always use in English, like PLEASE, THANK YOU, HELLO, BYE, BYE, COME HERE, SIT DOWN, JUMP, CLAP YOUR HANDS, TURN AROUND, LOOK AT THIS, WHAT �S THIS... you �ll be amazed how quickly kids get used to them if you use them every time... If you want more advice, send me a pm with your questions, I �ll be glad to help....(I hope you �ll enjoy it - kids that small are special and amazing!)
Anita

16 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Here is your first Korean lesson:Kam sa hab ni da (Kahm sah hab Me Dah)  It means �Thank you �.  I lived in Korea for 5 years so I can help if you need it.  I would focus on colours:saek(sake) and numbers-1-Ill 2 EE 3-Sam 4 -Sah 5-Oh 6 Yook 7 Chill 8 Pal 9 Koo 10 Ship.  I hope that helps. PM me if you need more.  Annyeonghikyesaeyo.  Stay in peace and good health.

16 Jun 2009     

katiejlm
Russian Federation

Wow, thanks all very much for very useful advice! I will have the first class tomorrow and will certainly be using all tips above and may well be in touch for more tips over PM.
Thanks again!

16 Jun 2009     

regina. di
Brazil

I think the other teachers have given you very good advice, so I just want to tell you that the classes with this special student are a time to play and have fun in English. You are going to use lots of visual aids, games, story telling, songs, videos, but everything in a very fun and stressfree way. I teach 4-year-old kids and they learn really fast. The classes are more like a playtime in English. Something very important is to use different activities, because sometimes kids may get bored if the activity is too long. I hope you do really well!!!

16 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

Take her in and speak to her like she is your own kid--she �ll learn fast.  My mother-in-law regularly does this with American kids she babysits (she is advanced in English but speaks German to them) and it works great.

17 Jun 2009     

crazy_turtle
United Kingdom

I recommend using a lot of songs, toys and big gestures.....

There are plenty of songs in the links list that you can use......

17 Jun 2009