Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me!    

Please help me!

Homeless Turtle
United States

Please help me!

I am having trouble understanding the use of the question word "HOW" in the middle of a sentence.

For example I don �t know how to play it.

Is it an adjective that describes know? I understand the use of "HOW" as a question word; like "How long" or �How much" but this is new to me.

Also, I have not been able to find any worksheets that deal with this form of "HOW." If anybody knows of a worksheet that I cold use to teach my students this new form of "HOW" I would really appreciate it, thank you.

17 Jun 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi georgejones! Michael Swan calls that "how" an infinitive complement, just like who in  "I wonder who to invite."; what "Show me what to do."; where "I don �t know where to put the car."; when "Tell me when to pay"; what "Show me what to do."  You use an  infinitive
after the question words in indirect speech and this structure usually expresses ideas such as  possibility or obligation: "I wonder who to invite = ... who I should invite).

Hope it helps.
mena

17 Jun 2009     

Homeless Turtle
United States

Thank you mena! I am so happy to get such a speedy reply to my question. I will study�How as an infinitive complement" and try to develop a worksheet to help my students understand it also!

PS: I am a big fan of your worksheets; thank you so much for helping to make this site such a great E.S.L. resource.

17 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

George,
That is HOW we do it here. LOL  When someone needs help we try to offer a solution.Smile

17 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

APodo,
WOW!!!  You sure have a lot of free time on your hands. :)

17 Jun 2009     

Apodo
Australia

A few clicks was all it took. ;-)

I have the dictionary in my favourites.

17 Jun 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi George,

Adding to what mena said,this infinitive complement or verb phrase can have different parts of speech according to the sentence:

I don �t know how to answer . "how" is a question word acting as an adverb of manner modifying the verb answer
"how to answer" is a verb phrase acting as a direct object of the verb "know"
hope this helps

17 Jun 2009     

Homeless Turtle
United States

Thank you Spagman63, Apodo,and Harim for sharing all your helpful information! This is a great E.S.L. resource and I feel fortunate to be part of it.  

17 Jun 2009