Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Just curious about English grammar!    

Just curious about English grammar!

frenchfrog
France

Just curious about English grammar!

Today, I uploaded this very nice printable from Ana: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=120832. The whole document is about the opinions of 3 teenagers on smoking.

I started reading it and became intrigued by one sentence. The first teenager, Tony, says �I smoke since I was twelve�. I was surprised to read �I smoke since� �, I expected �I have been smoking since��. So my question is: How acceptable is �I smoke since��? Is it often heard? Is it �correct� or do you strongly advise the use of the present perfect? Just curious!

Frenchfrog

21 Oct 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Frenchfrog,

I think this must be a grammatical error.  I would suggest any of the following:

I have been smoking since I was 12
I have smoked since I was 12
I started smoking when I was 12
I lit up for the first time when I was 12 (phrasal verb for you)

Just my opinion - oh goody - where is goodnesses - I haven�t seen a grammar conversation lately - will be good to see her opinion!
Vickiii

BTW - In no way is this discussion meant to hurt or offend the author of the above mentioned printable.  It is purely a grammatical discussion that was inspired by the worksheet!  Please contribute, without harranguing us for daring to mention an error in a worksheet. 

21 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Well, I don�t know if Ana adapted the text or if she simply typed it as it was. If it really was �I smoke since ...� in the original document, I would like to have an explanation!!! Because this is not what I was taught in high school!! But if this sentence can be heard, maybe I will try to be more lenient towards my students!! I will continue to teach them the present perfect, though!

Frenchfrog

By the way, Vickiii, this is for you:

21 Oct 2008     

matteunsun
United Kingdom

For me, as an English teacher and a native English person "I smoke since..." is definitely not correct (sorry!).  I wouldn�t be happy if any of my students said that...

21 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Yes!! This post is "purely a grammatical discussion", as you put it very clearly!!!

I hope Ana is going to answer! I really want to know if it was �I smoke since..." in the original document.

Frenchfrog

21 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

It�s definately an error - "since" can�t go ever with the Simple Present tense. It should be as Vicki said, it was probably a mistake (a mistype as I like to call them Wink...) on the part of Ana and if it was taken literally from a document, I would say it was something overlooked when they printed it.

21 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Thanks for your reply matteunsun! This is not what I was taught either when I was in high school! And this is not what I am teaching now!Tongue
Frenchfrog

21 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Thanks for your reply, Zora!

21 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

No problem French frog, you know me... I am always up for a good discussion on grammar! Tongue

21 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I am really glad I had the opinions of 3 native speakers from three different English-speaking countries (UK, Canada, and New Zealand)!! Thanks again!

Frenchfrog

21 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I think an explanation of the grammar behind the error is required - I often see this type of error in worksheets i download.

BTW - When I find such a fantastic resource - i am so grateful - the time it takes me to check the grammar is nothing compared to the time it takes the author to think of the concept and create the wonderful worksheet. 

I am nearly always happy to check that it �sounds right� from a native point of view for people on request - just email... 

Thanks frenchfrog - i have saved for future use! 

21 Oct 2008     

1    2    3    Next >