Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar question    

Grammar question

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Grammar question

Is this construction correct???

"What would you advise someone to do who has a lot of stress at work?"

This is totally wrong in my opinion, but it may be possible, who knows???

Thanks,

Julia

18 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

It �s not totally wrong, only slightly.The person just put the infinitive in the wrong place.  It would sound better at the end of the sentence:"What would you advise someone who has a lot of stress at work to do?" The structure is good and the vocabulary is correct.

18 Jun 2009     

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Alright,
I just want to know if I should correct this in my book (the teaching manual has this question) and in their final review.
In case I correct it and it�s right that way, then, if this appears in the students� final exam they will find it strange.
Confused

18 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I think it is wrong, as the relative clause (who has a lot of stress at work) should follow the noun it refers to (someone)

18 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Actually, we use BOTH structures.  Remember, books are not always correct. I find numerous mistakes in OUP/Cambridge books.  

18 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

....well-known grammar books are not correct?

18 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Some

18 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Shocked

18 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Yes there are several well known grammar books with mistakes.  One reason I always find it funny when individuals tell me that I have several grammar mistakes, but can �t point them out.  You would be surprise the types of mistakes I have found in several well known TEFL instructor �s books and other education textbooks.  One of my many jobs was at the end of a press looking over final print jobs and how many mistakes I would catch that came through.  I should hang the flyer the Cambridge University sent to my school after one of it �s instructors stopped by to give a teacher conference in South Korea.

18 Jun 2009     

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Yeah, I do believe that some books are printed with some mistakes, but, I need to know what to do about that sentence... Is it gramatically incorrect?

18 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I have never found a mistake in the grammar books I have been using.
Test books are a different subject.

Anyway, I do not look for the info in a grammar book to answer  here.
The question was not "grammar books and their accuracy" but one very different...

18 Jun 2009     

1    2    3    Next >