Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Cells in Worksheet Contributions    

Cells in Worksheet Contributions

susiebelle
United States

Cells in Worksheet Contributions

Hi, Everybody,

I �ve been looking at the reported contributions and I was just wondering if anyone with computer saavy can answer a question for me. 

Is there any reason whatsoever  for an original worksheet to have cells in them???

I have racked my brain trying to think of a legitimate reason for this. 

If you don �t know what I am talking about, here is an example:

•  I usually an apple a day. (eat)

18 Jun 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I �m no savvy as far as computers are concerned, but I know online tests have boxes... When I make my own original wss, I DON �T EVEN KNOW HOW I would put the boxes in, even if I wanted to....
if anybody does, please, teach me...

18 Jun 2009     

Roy Piepers
Spain

Hello Susiebelle,

Well, I guess it could be a style that somebody is going for (although I have no idea how you can put these cells in a doument) but I think that �s highly unlikely to be honest. Besides that, I don �t see why there should be any cells in an original worksheet.

Roy

18 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It means that there is some added coding on the page - there is either some input expected or a �drop down � list of options. In the example given I would expect text input is required. This is typical of interactive web pages but can be added to Word documents. If I were a gambling man I�d anticipate someone has copied the question from a web page... but without seeing the worksheet in question I really couldn�t say for sure. Are there more questions like this? You could always do a quick �Google � to see if they�ve been copied.

As Roy said, I don �t see why anyone would have this sort of thing on a worksheet unless they intend it to be used electronically rather than traditional �pen & paper �.

Cheers, AB 

18 Jun 2009     

Apodo
Australia

I suspect this is the result of �copy & paste � of an online exercise into a word document.

18 Jun 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

As for me I used those boxes in my worksheets several times(though not in the ones I shared here) - just wanted them to look more "textbook like". So I don �t see why somebody else couldn �t do the same thing...
It �s quite easy to do in Word so why suspect fraud???

18 Jun 2009     

Apodo
Australia

You are quite right Naranjas. I have seen those boxes in Word. I �ve completely forgotten where to find them now. LOL

18 Jun 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi

Don �t rack your brain about that Pinch. Most of the times it´s copy/paste from online exercises in websites.
And worst: some don �t even bother to eliminate the name of the website it was taken from.

Best wishes from Portugal
Manuela Smile

18 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

And the moral of this story is:

Just because there are text boxes on the worksheet, doesn�t mean it has been copied or stolen.  So please do not report it as stolen unless you can give a specific link to the original.

18 Jun 2009     

ishu
Turkey

Hi there,

If you open Word, click on "View", select "Toolbars", and then select "Web Tools", you can add these cells (textboxes), check boxes, drop-down menus, scrolling text, and many other things that you can do on a website.

Why would anyone use them for a regular worksheet? Well, I �m not quite sure, but there might be many reasons for that. Maybe they have prepared it to upload to a website, which doesn �t have an online exercise generator. Or they just wanted their sheet to have a website effect. Maybe they didn �t want to print the worksheet and hand it out to the Ss but just to use it on a projector in class so that it is easier to enter the correct answer in.

As Douglas said, unless a specific link to the original can be provided, I don �t think worksheets with textboxes should be treated as stolen.

Well, that �s what I think anyway :)

18 Jun 2009     

Roy Piepers
Spain

I agree with you Douglas. Very often it is extremely easy to find out where the WS was copied from by just coyping one of the sentences on the WS and putting it in Google.

18 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >