Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > preposition at    

preposition at

sirah
Argentina

Hi everybody! According to the The English language and Culture dictionary the correct preposition is ON ,meaning at the edge of or along,the examples are:"a town on the river/on the border/trees on both sides of the street"

Patricia

21 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I believe that jujuka has written a wonderful summary of the terms.

I did reply earlier - but then deleted it as I realised that I use both and could not figure out the difference.

A house on the coast - suggests anywhere on the coast of an island (continent).

At the coast would refer to a particular part of the coast that we both know about  and �The Coast� is used as a particlar place name.

I would say -  I bought a house at the coast  or I bought a house on the coast.

I really don�t think either is wrong or normal conversation.  I certainly wouldn�t look at you funny if you said either.

Although In the coast - is definitely incorrect.

21 Oct 2008     

atmtm
United Arab Emirates

according to the New Praid (Grade 7) the right answer will be ON
:)

21 Oct 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I totally agree with Jujuka�s answer, but can anyone tell me why in North America we use �on the weekend� and in England �at the weekend� is used?

21 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Not really sure why...  but I tell my students it probably depends if you consider "the weekend" only a day/day and a half (e.i. on Sunday, on Monday..) ... or if you consider it a moment (at Easter or at Christmas...)

To me it probably has to do with the "one or half a day" people recieved occasionally way-back-when and how that became more standard to become eventually a day or two a week. 

21 Oct 2008     

wolfy
Chile

my 2 pence is:

it should read....

I saw a house on the coast.

We rarely use "one" in English except to really emphasize or in mathematics. �And the correct preposition is on.

21 Oct 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Logo,

That�s really not fair!"

you added "road" to the sentence, but even then it should read "on" not "at"

Now include a house number .. I saw a house at 35 coast road. �Then it�s OK. �although it doesn�t make much sense.�

21 Oct 2008     

donia
Oman

Thank you guys for your replies your answers are really useful
Then it is on the coast

27 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2