Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Heart and hurt    

Heart and hurt

Adriportes
Brazil

Heart and hurt

Hi! I need some help! A student of mine asked me today about the pronunciation of "heart" because he heard somewhere that it was the same as "hurt". I guess it was a Slipknot song. I �ve always taught it like in "car". I listened to part of the song, I couldn �t listen to everything... :) and I was confused. Could anyone help me?
ThanksSmile

20 Jun 2009      

alien boy
Japan

STudents (& teachers) need to be careful if using songs or poems as models for pronunciation. Along with differences produced simply because one speaker has a different accent to another, sometimes the pronunciation is distorted/warped/ �fudged � in order to produce the desired rhyme, rhythmic effect or characterisation.

So - you are correct about the pronunciation for standard English. The student �s example may be due to the accent of the speaker/singer or as a device used in the song or poem.

Cheers,
AB

20 Jun 2009     

Adriportes
Brazil

Thank you, Alien Boy. That �s what I had thought too but I felt a little insecure. Students here in Brazil simply love songs in English. I totally agree with you that we should be careful about using them in class. Thanks a lot for your help!

Adri

20 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Americans on the west coast pronounce heart - like cart.
My British friends pronounce it closer to hot.

Americans use a retroflective R sound - the British R is more truncated.

20 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I take it that means closer to �hot� with a rounded sound as distinct from a shortened �o�?

Australians tend to talk more like British than Americans & we have a distinct difference between the sounds produced when saying �hot � and �heart�. The �eart� is pronounced the same as the word �art� - complete with truncated �r�. �hot� sounds more like �shot� than �hart�.

Some Irish folks I�ve met pronounce �heart� closer to �hurt� but that is consistent with other speech patterns within their dialect.

20 Jun 2009     

Adriportes
Brazil

Hi Libertybelle!

Thank you! I liked the words you used to compare the sound.

I don �t know about other non-native English teachers but sometimes the students hear things then they have doubts and ask questions. English is all around them. I always check things here: www.thefreedictionary.com, and if I don �t find the pronunciation they heard, I tell them that it must be a different accent or variation. 

Well, I never had a chance to say that before, but I love this site! Thank you all!

20 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You may also find the sites in the following post interesting (just click the link...)

Useful �sites for English pronunciation, accent and dialect examples.

Cheers

20 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

I would say...

Heart - like hart

Hurt - like hert

There you go easy peasy..
Smile

20 Jun 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

I guess your doubt was clarified, but anyway, check out this online pronunciation site...

howjsay . com
         A free online Talking Dictionary of English Pronunciation  Just mouse over the pink words to hear them spoken   

20 Jun 2009     

Adriportes
Brazil

Great! Thanks for the tips!
I �ll check the links. Thumbs Up

20 Jun 2009