Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > where do you take your pictures from?    

where do you take your pictures from?

Damielle
Argentina

where do you take your pictures from?

While I was reading the reported contributions I came across some wss that were reported or voted to be removed because their pictures where taken from ESL textbooks. So I began to wonder where do ESL printables members take the pics from.

I think that it �s right to use pictures or texts from different sources as far as we create our own activities.

"You can only send printables created by yourself. You will never send  printables taken from other websites or publications. You will never send printables whose origin you don �t know"

But on the other side I know that these rules exist:

"If you send a copy taken from another website or scanned from a book, you will lose your account."

"If you need images to make your worksheet, please use your own drawings or take them from public domain cliparts. "

So, can anybody tell me what criteria should we follow??? Please, Victor, if you are over here, can you answer my question?

I would also like to say that I can �t see any difference between a picture taken from  an ESL(or non ESL!!) textbook and one taken from the Net if the latter is not public domain!!!

If we are going to follow the rule that we can only use public domain pics to make our contributions, huge amounts of worksheets should be removed, even some of the most downloaded ones!!!

20 Jun 2009      

libertybelle
United States

I take my images from free Paint Shop Pro tube sites and scan images from old out-of-print books that have no copyright anymore.
I also take my images from coloring books and free coloring pages. As long as no artist is named, there is no problem and coloring books never name artists.
L

20 Jun 2009     

Ali G�ldaş
Turkey

Hi,
What I think is it is difficult for an esl teacher to create a picture. There are to many esl textbooks all around the world and each of us use a few of them.  So if anyone scans and create the activities we can use the pictures from the extbooks that we haven �t seen or taught. I think this kind of worksheets are OK.

20 Jun 2009     

Ali G�ldaş
Turkey

Hi,
What I think is it is difficult for an esl teacher to create a picture. There are to many esl textbooks all around the world and each of us use a few of them.  So if anyone scans and create the activities we can use the pictures from the extbooks that we haven �t seen or taught. I think this kind of worksheets are OK.

20 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

http://www.iclipart.com/index2.php# is much cheaper than clipart.com, which I used to use.  You can buy royalty free clipart collections at reasonable prices, such as Art Explosion 800,000.  I �ve been collecting clipart for a while and have more than enough images. These are just a couple of the many different collections available.

20 Jun 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

@liza, as far as I know the fact that a book is old and out-of-print doesn �t mean  that it has  no copyright anymore. I don �t remember very well, but only after 100 years a text  becomes copyright free or public domain. Books such as Don quixote or the Bible, are public domain.

20 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Not our school books. And the copyright on my lyrics are only for 50 years. It is also different from country to country. Why would anyone have a copyright on a book that is literally extinct?
Poetry, novels and music have longer copyright periods. But that is because after the author dies, the family stills receives royalties.
My friend who draws for schoolbooks doesn �t get royalties at all. She was paid a commission when they hired her to make drawings. She doesn �t get any royalties pr sold school book.

20 Jun 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Maybe you are right Liza. The laws are different in different countries. Have you considered that royalties is not the same than copyright?? Also we have to consider that there are copyrights that are temporary and some others that are not. In the case of the latter, and specially speaking of drawings, the rights still belong to the authors after the book is out of print.

When you are hired to do a job, you sign a contract and sometimes give up your rights. I have done it several times with some  material I have prepared so, the company or educational institution that hired me holds the copyright of the material, and not me.

20 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Yes - I understand - but I get the royalties because I own the copyright on all my lyrics.
I do have a publishing company which gets a share, but I still have the rights, therefore the royalties. If I change publishers - I take the copyright with me.

20 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I, like David, pay a membership to www.iclipart.com and www.graphicsfactory.com

20 Jun 2009