Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which is correct?    

Which is correct?

eaglestar
Philippines

Which is correct?

Friends,

This has caused a debate among us here. hehehe. which is correct?

She is taller than me?

or

She is taller than i am?

I know the 2nd one is grammatically correct, but has the first one become acceptable now? It seems easier to say and all the young ones are saying the first one most often.

Thanks for your help.

Stella

21 Jun 2009      

idamjate
Morocco

dear eaglestar,
in my opinion, you can say "She is taller than me" but not "She is taller than i am"

21 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

This is an on-going debate all over the world with just as many answers.
So anything goes.
Taller than I is correct but more formal.
In everyday language I hear taller than me more often.

So you can speak like a book or go with the flow!
L

21 Jun 2009     

idamjate
Morocco

As far as I am concerned, language has undergone many changes. These changes should take their places in writing. You can take the example of the old fashioned language which disappeared.  Hoping to open a kind of discussing.

21 Jun 2009     

Zarade
United States

This�dichotomy between the grammatically correct language vs. the common usage language is very much on my mind. �I have been trying to correct and minimize incorrect use and also slang use (as school administration expects me to do).

Lately, I find myself coming out saying things in �common � way or more slang. �I find that the purpose of getting my point across directly to the student, and therefore communication effectiveness, are worth to me more than the exactness of grammar.�

Or more simply, I �ve let the darling students brainwash me with their usage....LOL

21 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Even amongst native speakers you�ll find �correct� prescriptive grammar is most likely to be found in formal writing & rarely in the spoken form of the language. The strength of prescriptive grammar for teaching purposes is that it is a quantifiable standard that can be applied to measure the �success� of learning a particular form of English. As teachers we should be well aware of the differences between formal language and �normal� language as it applies to prescriptive & descriptive grammars.

21 Jun 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

If "Taller than I" is the grammatically correct form, how about "Taller than him" versus "Taller than he"?

21 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

Here is a pretty good explanation from Grammar girl:

Basically you have the "conjunctionist" and the "prepositionist" schools of thought.

If than is a conjunction (traditionally it is) then the answer is "than I" because the conjunction requires a independent clause after it: "He is taller than I {am}."

If than is a preposition then the answer is "taller than me" because the prepositon is modifying(?) the object of the sentence.

I personally like the "prepositionists" because they are the same people that helped get rid of the horrible "whom"Evil Smile

23 Jun 2009