Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > In the 2nd page or On the 2nd page?    

In the 2nd page or On the 2nd page?

Kita19
Portugal

In the 2nd page or On the 2nd page?

Hi everyone!

Prepositions of place were never my best point, mainly in vs on LOL Embarrassed I guess it �s because in Portuguese we have only one...

Which is correct in this context?

The exercise is in the 2nd page.

or

The exercise is on the 2nd page.

Thanks a lot!

HugHug

21 Jun 2009      

libertybelle
United States

The exercise is on the 2nd page.

21 Jun 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hi there:

A good way to remember the difference between "in" and "on" in English, in case you �re interested:

1.  "On" is used for flat surfaces and specific dates.  Examples:  On the wall, on the table, on the floor, on the board, on the page, on October thirty-first.

2.  "On" is used for electronics and most media.  Examples:  The show is on the TV, the song is on the radio, I �m on the internet, He �s on the phone.

3.  "In" is used for enclosed spaces or spaces with understood borders or limits.  Examples:  In exercise one, in the room, in October, in the window, in the newspaper, in the vase, in the desk drawer, in the tree, in the street, in the chair, in the sky. 

HOWEVER:  In English we say "on" the couch/sofa instead of "in."  I usually tell my students the reason is because the sofa is more flat and open, like a table, rather than enclosed, like a chair with a back and arms.

Hope this helps!

Your American Friend

21 Jun 2009     

Zarade
United States

"On" the page, always

21 Jun 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

@zoemorosini or Zarade,

do you say "on the forum" or "in the forum"?

21 Jun 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Thank you all for your help. Zoemorosini, your explanations were very useful indeed!!! Thumbs Up

But now I �m also curious about damielle �s question... is it "on the forum" or "in the forum"? I would say "in", but I �m not really sure why... lol

Hug

21 Jun 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

I �d say both are possible.

On the forum - when you refer to it like on the Internet, on the page (e.g. post a message on the forum)
In the forum - when you think of the forum as a place where people meet (e.g. join the conversation in the forum)

21 Jun 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Thank you all for your help. Zoemorosini, your explanations were very useful indeed!!! Thumbs Up

But now I �m also curious about damielle �s question... is it "on the forum" or "in the forum"? I would say "in", but I �m not really sure why... lol

Hug

21 Jun 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I would say On the forum since the forum belongs to the internet and ON is used with any means of media, for example " internet". Therefore, when we refer to forums like this one, we should say ON the forum.

Miss Melissa. Hug

21 Jun 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

I agree with PhilipR and MissMelissa.

ON the electronic/internet forum.

IN the physical meeting forum.

22 Jun 2009