Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > A Debatable Question    

A Debatable Question

manonski (f)
Canada

Personally, and I teach young ones, it does not matter if it �s a cartoon or a photo. I want an illustration that will perfectly explain my vocabulary. Isn �t that the purpose of a flashcard?

Cartoons are nice, obviously, and they are more attractive to younger ones and when I can find one that can illustrate what I want, I �ll pick one but if I can �t, I �ll go with a photo.

23 Jun 2009     

memthefirst
Turkey

Cartoons are more memorable than real photographs.I haven �t got an essay or any kind of article but this is what one of my teachers suggested.

23 Jun 2009     

class centre
Belarus

I �ve recalled just now that psycologists know that young children can better persieve only 4 colours at a time. When showing photos you distract their seeing from the subject. I am careful to choose only bright distinctive colours for my little ones ( and I am also a grandmother). Hope that helps. Good luck!

23 Jun 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

I completely agree with passport and  manonski,it �s not a question of cartoons or photos.It �s a question of what you are teaching.Sometimes a simple photo can help you teach what a complex cartoon can �t and vise versa.So,it all depends on your objectives,the level and age of your students,the simplicity of the material and the impact that cartoons or photos can have not only on your students but also on your teaching process and the result it can yield.
In our job,we needn �t be fanatic to one tool, one way or one school.We have to be open to all choices.What would you say if I tell you that sometimes I use the grammar translation method in my lessons and it works perfectly better?
Cheers

23 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2