Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Me or I?    

Me or I?

Apodo
Australia

Tanja80 said:
When do you use "I" or "me" in the end of a sentence?

All the sentences I can think of would end with �me � rather than with �I � .

I is the subject.  Me is the object.

Give it to me.
I got it from him.
Can I go?
Can he and I go?
He �s going with me.

25 Jun 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I have to say I totally disagree with Apodo in the sense of what some may have regarded as "bad English" one day, and is now Grammatically correct and overall, more used than the correct grammar way, shouldn �t be considered. If most grammar books say something, but in every movie your students watch, they see the opposite, who loses credibility? You or the "actors"? hehehe

For this matter of "ME OR I", the simple explanation of SUBJECT and OBJECT difference does the job, most of the times.

But then, there �s always doubt from many students who don �t wish to know the grammar as teachers would, and also those who are simply curious as to knowing why (?) things are the way they are, but don �t want looong rules and explanations.

For example: you explain to your students:
"Between you and me" is correct. Mainly because between is a preposition, and takes the "accusative case". Then you will have to explain what the heck accusative case is, which in my opinion, is of no student �s interest, since most don �t even know in ther mother language.

If you explain that after prepositions the OBJECT pronoun is always used, it �s a good way to sum it up. However, when one of your students see: - Forgive me, Father, for I �ve sinned; they will see "for I", and think either the speaker or their teacher was wrong. You just need to keep their mind open to the idea that a language is NOT an exact science and therefore cannot be seen as a straight line. In that and many other cases, for is not a preposition, as they �re used to see it, it �s a conjunction, with the same meaning of "because I �ve sinned".

Another thing is after THAN, and in my opinion, the good old examples will do just fine.

She loves him more than I (more than I do, than I love him)
She loves me more than me (more than she loves me)

And how do you explain to a student who wants to post his pic on the net how to write the caption:
- Me at the concert; or
- I at the concert.
I found this on the net:

There is no definite answer. Both are possible.

You have to ask youself what you actually mean with the labels you put on the pictures. You are persumably using some kind of pattern or rule. For example you write what the pictures shows: "[It shows] my daughter and me in San-Fransisco." or "[This is a photo from when] my daughter and I [were] in San-Fransisco."

And I looooved it! It says it all. In such informal things as a photo caption, and it depends on what you want to say.

TO SUM UP - As my personal advice, always try to be flexible to what it �s on the books and on the streets. Not every student wants to become a teacher or walking grammar book, like we do! eheheh - They just want to learn HOW TO SPEAK!

BTW: My student asked why he listened "try and do that" and not "try to do that", and I had to say that it �s just used TOO.

If you have sticked with me till here, thanks! Wink
Best regards, guys!

25 Jun 2009     

dellcomputer
United States

It is simple, if the sentence is "my friends and ___ went to the mall to shop"
You need to cut off the my friends and part and see which makes sense, you can �t use me

27 Jun 2009     

ajaaron
Thailand

Brunadutra:   Why even mention accusative case?

Simply you have a nominative case and a objective case.

We use "me" in "between you and me" because it is the object of the preposition.

We use me when it is a indirect object, direct object, or the object of the preposition. It is therefore in the objective case

We use I when it is a subject or the predicate nominative. Therefore the nominative case.

Some simple exercises would clarify this with students. Keep the explanations simple and at the level of the student.

My friend and I went to the shop. (subject)
It wasn �t I who answered the telephone (subject)
The two babies in the photograph are him and I (predicate nominative)
My friend gave me a new book. (indirect object).
My friend went to the shop with me. (object of preposition).
The coach chose Tim and him for the team. (direct object)

If you allow students to say; "It wasn �t me who answered the telephone" the grammar rule is broken. I guess if you are teaching converation it is fine, but if you are teaching grammar it would not be considered good form :)

30 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2