Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What exams to recommend to the students??    

What exams to recommend to the students??

Lana.
Ireland

What exams to recommend to the students??

Dear Teachers,

who to ask if not you...

(How good to be a member of this website, whenever I have a question I can �t decide I know where to look for the answer... Amazing...Hug)

Our students have lately been asking what exams are available in Dublin for them to take.

Now, there are a lot of different ones available, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, TIE (local one), all the Cambridge exams...

In your experience, which one is the best?

Which one has the strongest regard among all?

Thanks in advance!

Love you all.

25 Jun 2009      

silvia.patti
Italy

I thing you should choose according to their ability. I know the Trinity exams, based only on conversation. Last year 6 of my students passed it brilliantly; on the contrary my colleague said that the Cambridge ones are too long and a little difficult because they have all the four abilities...I don �t know the others you mentioned.

25 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thanks Silivia,

what exam would it be in Trinity exactly?

25 Jun 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

I have been administring the Toeic and the Bulat here in Paris. However I am a bit frustrated... Both of the test are long, repetitive (in particular the Bulats) and far from reliable. In the standard version of the two tests, candidates spend two hours ticking boxes, a, b, c etc, which means you can never distinguish  who is taking time to understand the questions from those who are answering at random (and some candidades do)... No room for production (oral and written) at least in the standard version
So honestly I would recommend some other tests, but neither the Toeic nor the bulat
BRAHIM

25 Jun 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Hi Lana!

100% of my kids passed the Trinity exam this year!!

Regards from Spain :=)

Olga

25 Jun 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

It really depends on what they need it for.

Students who want to study in Australia must take the IELTS exam. It does test all four skills which is good.  Although the listening and reading are multiple choice, the writing and speaking involve the students producing their own work.

My suggestion is to base your choice on the future needs of your students.
Cheers Joy

25 Jun 2009     

Hannale
Greece

Here in Greece we have a variety of exams.The most popular are cambridge exams and Michigan exams.Students with strong language abilities prefer cambridge exams but the ones with less  abilities prefer Michigan thinking they are less challenging since they last less time.
Since 2008 we also have City and Guilds language exams which are 6 times a year.A lot of students take part in these because they have a 55% pass rate contrary to Michigan which have 65% and cambridge 60%.
Here the schools usually give the students a mock exam of each and according to the results students,parents and with the help of the teacher decide which exams are suitable for each student.

I hope I have helped you.In case you want more information don �t hesitate to get in touch.

25 Jun 2009     

Hannale
Greece

I have forgotten to mention in my previous post that IELTS is considered useful for those students who want to study in Britain whereas TOEFL useful for studies in the States.Scores of TOEFL exams are valid for two years only .TOEIC on the other hand is popular among business people who don �t have any certificates to prove their language abilities and want something fast which takes place every week and results come out after 15 days.

25 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

People, you �re all amazing, you know that? Smile

Thanks for all your great comments, I followed that Trinity link, somehow this is the first time I hear about that exam, it sounds pretty functional.

I �ll research opinions more before recommending anything.

Thank you!

25 Jun 2009