Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > TIME TO KILL    

TIME TO KILL

camilastohrer
Brazil

TIME TO KILL

Hi teachers!

I �m a teacher at a private school here in Brazil and I intended to show the film Time To kill (Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson) because the students have been learning about North American culture with the History teacher.
The thing is: when I prepared all the material about the movie I saw online that it was unappropriate for kids under 12. Now, when I get the dvd box, I see the age rate is actually 16.
In one group my students are 12. In the other group they �re 14.
I �ve already told the students we were going to watch a movie (didn �t mention which one) , I �ve prepared the material and I �ve even booked the video room at school.
We �re supposed to begin watching the film on Monday.

It �s a 1996 movie and its age restrition was determined then.

Do you think I might have problems if I show this film to my students? What would you do in my shoes?

Please help me out!

Camila

26 Jun 2009      

mrlypy
Brazil

Hi Camila! You might have been expecting  an answer from someone from abroad (opinion other than Brazilian ones) however,  being a brazilian and knwoin our culture very well, I am almost sure that it won �t be any problem at all. at times, our tube shows much more than a three-year old can watch, let alone a 12-year old. I would show the movie anyway.

26 Jun 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Hi Camila,

IMHO I wouldn �t do it with them, both groups are too young. Though the story is compelling it is pretty heavy duty stuff for young minds. Rape is a subject I �d be very wary of, even with adults.

I �m sure the folks on here will help you find something more appropriate, even though you have very little time to get it organized.

Good luck!

26 Jun 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

The previous poster has a very valid point. The answers here will depend a lot on the posters � culture. Being British I �m used to television being very much controlled with regards to sexual and violent content. And hey it may seem puritanical to some but I think it �s good as children are made to grow up way too fast these days.

26 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hi Camila, i �m afraid i would have to agree with colibrita and say that the film might be too much for the students of that age. They, also, might not take the same interest in it as much as an older student/person would. I �m saying this because when i was once at a seminar on drug addiction and teens, i asked the woman a Qn whether it would put off a teen from it if we showed them a film (like the one with Leo DiCaprio), she said that children at that age do not have a sense of death being such a horrific thing. She said that even though the film showed what happened in the end, they would still be more interested in what happened at the beginning - getting high and all the �blast � you �d get from it.
I can �t think of another option for you, unfortunately.

26 Jun 2009     

camilastohrer
Brazil

Thanks for your help, guys!
I �ll consider all the opinions to make my decision.

Have a wonderful weekend!

26 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Personally.....I wouldn �t show it to kids that were as young as yours. It is a great film but not really for that age group. I don �t know what your school is like, but what about the parents? Would they be upset with you showing something that legally they should not be watching? It is one thing for a parent to decide if their child is going to watch something that has adult themes.... What they watch at home is one thing... Also are there legal aspects of you showing something that is rated 16 at a place of education to children that are too young?

Also in the countries that I have worked in, if I had showed a film that was rated above their ages (and in the 12 year old case in your class this is quite a bit) then the parents would be the first ones complaining about it to me and to the headteacher. I just would not do it.

I know that with it being Friday now and you have planned this for Monday.... its a bit late.. but is there any chance of doing something else for that lesson so you can have more time to plan something more suitable? There must be some films out there that would be far more appealing and appropriate to your age group.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

26 Jun 2009     

debbie6
Canada

still applies and if the rating is Canadian the movie is even worse...the US had a better rating system for films.  Some Canadian rated films has sex in them and they have a rating of PG13.  Go with your gut!

26 Jun 2009     

jennybohmes
Argentina

In my modest opinion maybe you could choose another movie or send a note to their parents if they allow their children to watch the movie.

26 Jun 2009     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Dear Camila. I strogly recomend  you follow the age rate used in Brazil. I myself consider "Time to kill" too violent. I understand what our colleague Mrlypy means when he mentions our television is a lot unapropriate as well but that doesn �t mean we should follow this bad example.

I �ve seen a similar and hard situation dealt by a private school I had worked in Limeira - SP. Parents sued the institution for the same reason. The teacher did �t even show the whole movie, just an excerpt. Even like this the school was condemnded to pay a sum of money to the parents because the judge in charge didn �t consider the teacher specialized in film rating so she couldn �t determine which part of the movie was appropriate and which wasn �t.

Think about it.

26 Jun 2009     

silvia.patti
Italy

I think you shoul eventually ask parents if they let her children see the film. But I think you should choose another. Consider Pocahontas, it �s a cartton about colonization. I don �t know if it �s the historic period you are looking for, but it �s MUUUUUUUUUCH better for them.

26 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >