Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reading for Comprehension and Reading for Fluency    

Reading for Comprehension and Reading for Fluency

Pinky Makus
Canada

Reading for Comprehension and Reading for Fluency

Are they the same?  How do you approach reading in your classroom?  How do you approach reading activities for those in grades 2, 3 and 4?  Do you have any favorite shorts stories that can be worked on when you have less than an hour just once a week?  Also...how to you get children to slow down when they read?

P.S. 
Some of you might like these little black and white stories for young learners. 

http://www.highlightskids.com/Stories/Timbertoes/h13TTArchive_Holidays.asp

26 Jun 2009      

dellcomputer
United States

give them a poem like "Jabberwocky" it is nonsense which makes it fun then you make them write their own or work on making the nonsense make sense. I have posted as a printable, "Jabberwocky" review to explain about it.

27 Jun 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

I �ll try to answer one of your questions. I don �t think that reading for comprehension and for fluency is same thing. Comprehesion is making sure students understood what �s exactly said in the text. Fluency is how fast they can read. With fluency sts may not remember all the details but it �s easier for them to read and they can read more. Maybe you can do a little research on Michael (Mike) West and some of his methods in teaching reading. He was an English teacher who taught in India to large classes and believed that students have to be first to read and then to speak. He �s author of many books and I think he wrote readers also. Hope it helped some.  

27 Jun 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

Thank you!!! This is useful. My students read and then we have discussions. It has been very difficult to find something to match their reading level vs. their speaking level. They are completely different. Its easy to understand what you read but hard to express yourself. Any extra help there???

27 Jun 2009