Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > deleted worksheet - guess my job    

deleted worksheet - guess my job

fede117
Italy

deleted worksheet - guess my job

My 2 ws were removed as voted as copy. I have asked LA LUNA to use the pictures, which anyway are available on the net to everybody, and she kindly agreed.
I have also changed some of the pics and added mine.
Beside this, La LUNA �s ws were just a pictionary, while mine was a speaking activity which I have created myself and was on page two of each worksheet.

I think whoever votes against ws should look or read carefully before voting against genuine and hard work

27 Jun 2009      

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

you �re completely right!
I �ve been saying this too many times now ... "so many unfair judges on the site"
I know Victor meant well when he included "moderators". However this is going too far!!
Unfairness and an unhealthy environment on this site is all that we found lately...

VICTOR, IT IS TIME YOU FIND A DIFFERENT WAY OF CONTROLLING "CHEATING"

GreetingsSmile

27 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

To be a moderator you have to be able to judge objectively even when you "feel"  differently.
You have to know you must respect the other person and his/her work when judging him/her as you are far from being beyond any fault or mistake...and before "asking for deletion", that moderator should read what the creator has to say.

I have always being against  making anybody a moderator.
It has not worked and will not.

27 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I disagree with the fact that it �s not working. Most of the time, wrongful reporting does not lead to the removal of a printable. I �d say that most moderators are doing a tremendous job and trying to be fair. Nobody is perfect and no system is error proof.

27 Jun 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

I agree with Tere-arg
90% of the cases are not fair situations!!!

And what happens when an unfair deletion takes place????
Do you upload again?? I don �t think so!!

And there are so many complainings lately!!! Do you think it �s going well?
  manonski (f) says "Nobody is perfect and no system is error proof", that is true,
but people have the duty to correct mistakes and find possible solutions!!
We don �t have to accept errors based on the idea "nobody is perfect"
 When something is wrong it has to be changed!!!

27 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

There have been changes made by Victor lately to improve the system. Before that, he was the only one reviewing the printables and the level of complaints was not any lower. Do you think this was fair?
You say that 90% of the cases are not fair situations. I guess we �ll have to disagree on that one because most reported sheets are stolen from another member (hello Vanda!!!) or another website (hello Bogglesworld).  I guess we don �t do math the same way.  Go check right now: most of the reported printables are copied from somewhere. Do you think that is unfair reporting?

27 Jun 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

I don �t know which wss is fede talking about... Was it the one on Feelings and emotions?
If so, I voted to stay...

I think it is easy to upload very useful wss:
Upload several pages, first pages in colour, then the BW version, write a complete  description, include number of pages and  "BW" in the name of the wss so everybody knows it �s a complete wss. And most of all, include your own suggestions, exercises to go with the "pictionary". Then nobody can accuse you of stealing...
As Victor stated, this is not a clipart collection or copy-paste site. If you draw the pics on your own and include several suggestions... ok, that �s something original... but if the pics are copied... where is the personal touch? Where is the work of the uploader?
Sometime before one said the time spent on making the wss doesn �t matter.
Well, I think it matters. I cannot compare copied picture to an original wss consisting of colour version and bw version with 4-10 pages ...
Sorry, but I find it more useful to have a complete work...

But it is my point of view and you may disagree...

To prevent deleting wss, all the new members should know they must include some original work of their own - fill-in exercise, questions, suggestions, rewriting exercise... whatever...

LuciaRaposo - if you see some work reported unfairly - INFORM THE CONTRIBUTOR . That �s what I did today, as I found the work very useful, but unfortunately, it was mostly copied pic... So I sent  PM to the contributor with some suggestions how to UPDATE the wss so it would 100% meet the rules.
And he followed my suggestions and his ws was saved.

That �s what you can do, Lucia...

This can make the contributor happy and what �s more - it can make you feel happier and nice...

27 Jun 2009     

zailda
Brazil

LuciaRaposo:
According to Victor, the system is working very well and I agree with him, because most of stolen and copied wss are removed before the owner gets the unfair points. People complain because they think it �s the easy way. The hard way is to learn with your errors and if you had a ws deleted, pay attention to the rules and try to do your best next time.

I don �t understand why a teacher cheats, and if you go to the reporting page right now you �ll see dozens of members trying to get points just copying a website page or uploading another person �s work, while most members here spend hours giving their best to their students and with the purpose of sharing useful work here. Is it fair?

Would it be fair if anyone could upload anything here, get points and download whatever? I don �t think so, and the moderators are there to prevent it from happening, and saying that "90% of the removals are unfair" sounds like an accusation. Do you really think that most of moderators are unfair? Do you really believe that some respected members that have wonderful and valuable work here would just change their personality when assuming the moderator �s place?

I don �t think so, moderators are just keeping the site safe, and making sure that no cheater or fakes will get points or have a place here.

Have a good weekend

Zailda Coirano

28 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

I probably remember the worsheets and your hard work, but I don �t remember that you stated La Luna had given you permission to use her work. If you had said that, then you may have had a different result. Also the top page of both your worksheets was almost identical to La Luna �s work. I think you should have put your work on top and given credit to La Luna for the second page.  IMHO the moderators were not at fault in this case.
Sincerely
David

28 Jun 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I agree with David when he says that Fede should have put her work on top and given credit to La Luna for the second page. As it was, the first page was almost identical to LaLuna �s.  I saw the wss among the reported contributions but did not vote either way.  I felt inclided to vote for removal because of the strong similarities but realised that the second page was original. On the other hand, I did not want to vote for it to stay because I did not think it was ethical to use other people �s work (Nothing was mentioned about a permission). When in doubt I prefer to refrain from voting.
But I strongly disagree with Tere and Lucia Raposo. Manon and Zailda are right! The system is working, removing dozens or even hundreds of copies and non ESL material.  Very few wss are unfairly reported - like one of mine - but most of these are not removed. The moderators are doing a tremendous job reviewing the uploaded work.  It so too bad that some people insist on diminishing this task that is performed with one goal in mind: To make Eslprintables an even better site.

28 Jun 2009