Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Is there anything worse than being accused of "stealing" when you´ve made your own worksheet?    

Is there anything worse than being accused of "stealing" when you´ve made your own worksheet?

bamarcia
Brazil

Is there anything worse than being accused of "stealing" when you´ve made your own worksheet?

Dear friends,

Is there anything worse than being accused of �stealing� when you�ve made your own worksheet? This has just happened to me. It took me hours to make an animal/alphabet poster using Publisher.In fact, I started it months ago, but was never happy enough with the result. (In fact, there�s still a lot of room for improvement, but I�m sure I�ve done my best!) The worksheet was finally uploaded yesterday. http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=121350 To my surprise, there�s a comment saying I should have acknowledged the site I�d taken it from!!!?????????????????????http://www.stickersandcharts.com/stickers/alphabet1.php

Check for yourself! I hope this never happens to any of you. It�s really frustrating!

PS: If any of the serious hard-working teachers who belong to this honourable site is interested in the Publisher file, I�d love to send it to you!

Regards from Brazil,
Marcia

22 Oct 2008      

Logos
Malaysia

I didn�t have much to do, so I thought I would take you up on your offer of �Check for yourself! and so I have looked at the preview window of esl printables of your worksheet and have looked at the site.  I even took screen shots of both and placed them side by side and I have to comment that the illustrations you both use are exactly the same.  The only difference is that the website has 5 letters a row and you have 4.

It is not strange that you chose to use the same animals to represent the letters, but what is extremely strange is that you both chose to use exactly the same picture of the animal.  I am no Sherlock Holmes, but unless there was a telepathic communication between the two, I would suggest that one took from the other.

It is not for me to say who copied from who, but I do think the negative comment on your worksheet is a legitimate one.

Anyone else want to take up the challeng and Check for yourself??? 

22 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

*Sigh and grumbles* This is a never ending topic. I agree with Logos that they look quite similar but unfortunately, I just see this as another case of pointing fingers at somebody... again... I have seen worksheets and exercises made up with by members that have an amazing amount of points and the exercises themselves have been taken from other sites. I know because I also use those sites. The people who have done this, have just "gussied" (made pretty) the worksheet and then uploaded it and nobody has blinked an eye to this or said anything. (I refuse to start reporting people because it�s a bad habit and makes for bad feelings...and I refuse to enter into this game.)

All I can say is - Stop this craziness, we are adults for goodness sake... We know stealing is bad, but guess what? Life ain�t fair and many that download here are new to the site and don�t know if a sheet is stolen or not ... and quite honestly, many seem to not care. So, I really think we should stop clogging the site with this stuff... Report it, talk to Victor and leave be, please!  

22 Oct 2008     

sirah
Argentina

Hi bamarcia! I know you modified the poster from the website and surely it took you a lot of time ,but I think that we can�t use pictures from mes-english.com because some days ago I read in the forum that the owner of that website answered another member about the use of pictures from his site.Here�s the link,the person is called markcox
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=834

Hug
Patricia

22 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , bamarcia�Smile

Sorry to know you�ve been somehow frustrated and I understand it.

However, if you don�t mind my opinion.

I don�t think "cerix64" was accusing you of stealing. In my opinion she was just reminding something you may have forgotten. That is "mentioning" the source of the cliparts which, by the way, are free to be used by anyone on that site.�

Here is what "cerix64" said:

((Nice of course, but, posted by cerix64
I think U should mention that the poster image is from the website:
http://www.stickersandcharts.com/stickers/alphabet1.php ))

I agree with her the cliparts aren�t yours. (Unless I missed something)

I agree with you you did not steal them. Since you just used the cliparts to produce a new WS of 3 pages with different activities, I don�t think you should be blamed or accised of anything.

Regards

22 Oct 2008     

bamarcia
Brazil

Dear Michael (Logos), Zorah, Sirah and Bouabdellah (goodnesses),

Thanks for your views. I do think that the source of images, texts and all that should be stated whenever possible. I have searched my various clipart softwares and can now do what is right: acknowledge the source of the cliparts used in the mentioned worksheet, which is Print Artist platinum Edition. I�m sorry I hadn�t done so before, but the images had been copied to my hard disk loooooong ago.

By the way, I don�t think it matters, but I didn�t know about that poster at all. We just had the same source of inspiration, which is quite obvious: using cute alphabet images on the same topic (animals) to make an alphabet poster!

WinkThanks to all of you who take your time and effort to contribute to this great site and a handful of applause to Victor for making it possible! ClapClapClapClapClapClap

22 Oct 2008