Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Parents versus teachers    

Parents versus teachers

marta v
Serbia

I �m shocked at the fact that this happens worldwide! I thought it was just here in Serbia where for such behaviour it �s always the 1990 �s wars to blame (rather than family upbringing)! What parents don �t realise is that they �re lulling their children with a false assumption that it �ll work throughout their lives, which is TOTALLY MISLEADING (hopefully!!!!!)!
Have a nice Sunday!

28 Jun 2009     

veroniq
Slovenia

Hello teachers all around the world.
As I was reading your responses to the topic at hand I realised that the poblem of parents protecting their children against �mean � techers exists all over the world.
I face the same problems here in Slovenia.  On one hand we have overprotective parents and on the other hand we have parents who don �t show any interest in their childrens � grades and progress.
Some of them usually come almost at the end of the year begging and pleading what you as the teacher can do to give their child a positive grade. I am not a magician to make negaive grades into positive.

Thank you Ivona for the �Teen Angels � tapes. I have seen it on out TV as well but the idea to show it to the parents is brilliant. Thank you soooooooo much.

28 Jun 2009     

magneto
Greece

Hello! Since Danielle is asking and having also read my Greek colleagues � answers, I �d like to add this little bit of information on the way things are in Greece: It gets even worse when the parents complaining - and demanding higher grades - are COLLEAGUES (!) (teaching other subjects), who have made their children compete against each other for the highest grade. It has happened to me many times and it always comes as a shock. The amount of pressure is horrible! And what bothers me even more is this: How can somebody who knows the job and should have taught his/ her child that what �s really important is what you learn and not the grade you get think this way? And how can somebody who knows the job and is supposed to be a TEACHER above all else  have such an unfair attitude towards other children? If another child, who is not a teacher �s child, deserves a better grade than his/ her own, why should they get the same (or, even worse, why should the teacher �s child get the best grade?)? Has anyone else had this experience? I �m pretty sure my Greek colleagues would have a lot to say on the subject, but does this also happen in other countries? Thank you for your patience and thank you, Danielle, for bringing this up... It was a good chance for me to release my feelings of anger about this situation! Have a great summer! 

28 Jun 2009     

Mahalo
United States

I have been "the lucky one" to have both a school board member �s "angel" in my class, and the principal �s daughter. They were both-" why isn �t my child getting A �s" My response was "because they do not do the work to deserve them....needless to say, that is a MAJOR part why so many teachers in the US find other jobs within 4 years of getting their first teaching job...

Then parents complain that their child has a teacher right out of college and "they are too inexperienced to know how to teach their kids.."

Parents are not happy one way or the other.

Unfortunatedly the principals and superintendence, and school boards are all afraid of the parents, so they "cow-tow" to them by moving their child out of one class because they do not like the teacher or the teacher´s teaching methods (For some reason, it seems like every parent went to college and got teaching degrees, and know teaching methods...). My friend had a student move to another teacher 3 weeks before school let out because "the other teacher was doing a more fun project". Unbelieveable! Honestly, we do not get paid enough for all the poo-poo (I did not want to offend anyone by saying crap) that we have to put up with sometimes.....

I know that teaching is a job from the heart, do not get me wrong, but there are so many of us going to different occupations after just a few years.

29 Jun 2009     

Mahalo
United States

It would be wonderful to be more respected by everyone-including the parents, and their "angels"more.Clap

29 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3