Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > working in other countries    

working in other countries

oznurselcuk
Turkey

working in other countries

I just wonder whether it is difficult to work as an English teacher in any other country. Is it possible for me to work abroad. What are required?

28 Jun 2009      

ssrl10
Spain

In Spain you have to pass an exam which takes place every two years (except for nationalist regions, where the exam is every year). The exam consists of different parts: foreign people have to show that they know the language by passing an exam in Spanish or any other official language (Galician, Basque, ...). Then, you have two pass another exam in English which consists of three parts: you have to write about a topic out of 69 topics given by the government (the topic is not selected by you, but you have to chose between 5 different topics given to you). Then, you have to design a course plan for a year in English and a unit of work and talk about them for an hour.
However, passing this exan does not mean that you will get a job because this is only 60% of the final mark. The other 40% depends on your marks at university, courses you have followed and years of experience in teaching you have.
That�s for non private schools. In private schools all you have to do is send them your CV and you can work there if you are selected but you don�t have many chances to work there.

28 Jun 2009     

oznurselcuk
Turkey

Smilethanks for the information. It looks really hard to work in Spain, but I can understand that the education system of Spain is pretty good.

28 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

In Ireland you need to have a college/uni degree and a CELT (Certificate in English Language Teaching) cert. The cert must be approved by ACELS (Advisory Council for English Language Schools) and be at least 100 hours long including 6 hours teaching practice. It doesn �t matter if you have taught for ages somewhere else, you need to have one of those certs, but it isn �t difficult to get one, they are 4 to 6 weeks and widely available.

Once you have one, you can aslo teach in other European countries - convenient.

I am talking about private language schools for teaching English as second language for adults.

Don �t know about the secondary schools, since I don �t teach in them.

28 Jun 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

In Japan its a wonderful experience. All that is required in a degree for some jobs. If you would like a more exclusive job TEFL test are required and maybe a masters. I love the atmosphere and the people. It also very easy to acquire the visa once you have all of your papers in order. It is a rewarding experience to teach overseas. Good Luck in your conquests!!  

28 Jun 2009     

txellalalluna
Andorra

I believe there is a TEFL school in Istambul, and that is like a passport to teach ESL anywhere around the globe. I �ve got friends who took that certificate and are now teaching in various asian countries - and apparently enjoying it.

My experience abroad was quite different, I taught in English publish schools as a supply teacher. It was quite an easy job to get, I worked through an agency (mine was Timeplan, but there are a lot of them). It wasn �t a specifically ESL job, just supply teaching in primary schools.

Do try it, anywhere you go, you �re going to have a great time and a great experience.

txellalalluna

28 Jun 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

Education in Spain has become one of the worst in Europe over the last 12 years. It is not as it used to be. However, education in Universities continues to be good (I hope it will last). I forgot to say that after graduating from University, if you want to teach at a sec. school you also need a certificate called CAP (certificate in pedagogy).

28 Jun 2009     

oznurselcuk
Turkey

thank you all. I will do my best.

28 Jun 2009