Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > At last!! But with mixed feelings... How do you end up teaching in your school?    

At last!! But with mixed feelings... How do you end up teaching in your school?

frenchfrog
France

At last!! But with mixed feelings... How do you end up teaching in your school?

I have been teaching for 5 years (6 years if I count my year as a trainee teacher) and so far I have been teaching in 10 different schools!! Three days ago I was informed that I had, at last, obtained a teaching post in a school. To me this means that I will not have to wait until 4-5 days before school starts to know where I am supposed to teach! This is a big improvement in my career as a teacher! Less stress too!

Now, in France, you cannot really choose the school in which you want to teach. You have to make a list of wishes and the school authorities will �sort out� everything for you!! This means that in France, we don�t have to go through interviews. Each teacher has a certain number of points depending on their experience, their marital status, the number of children they have. So when you are a single teacher at the beginning of her career, leaving with someone but not married to him, with no children, you don�t have a lot of points and you get � nothing! The more points you have, the more likely you are to get the school you want.

Every time I asked to teach in a junior high school, I ended up teaching in a high school. And every time I asked to teach in a high school, I ended up teaching in a junior high school. This year I asked to teach in a high school and guess what?, yes, I�ll be teaching in a junior high school for the I-don�t-know-how-many years to come. Even though I like teaching at both levels, I am �destined� to teach at the high school level. This is what my school authorities have been telling me right from the beginning, but in the end, they have decided to appoint me to a junior high school!!

I hate the French system! Thumbs DownAngry

How do you end up teaching in your schools in your respective countries? Are you appointed? Do you have to go through interviews?

28 Jun 2009      

Helen McK
Ireland

Hello Frenchfrog, Smile

What an amazing teaching system you have in France!!!  I lived there for about 18 months, but I had no idea that this was how teachers were appointed.  I can�t believe that your points system takes into consideration such things as whether you�re married or not and how many children you have!?!? There would be absolute uproar in Ireland if this were the case. I�m afraid that our system is much more boring.  We attend interviews and generally, qualifications, experience and personality are the main criteria used when selecting teachers.  �Pull� helps as well!! By �pull�, I mean knowing or being connected with the right people.

Helen  

28 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I understand your frustration, but I guess we should congratulate you, shouldn �t we? So, congartulations, dear! (I wish ESL points could help you get what you want, but I guess no chance of that, ha?)
I could say I �m blessed, because I started teaching when I was finishing university and remained with this private school for these 16 years. I would say I �m lucky in a lot of respects, because I am one of the teacher trainers, so I get to decide and I am rather independent in the use of material. However, I (and my family) know how many hours of work I put into that, how many nights I don �t sleep worrying about some projects, kids and new colleagues... I know you all do, when you really care, don �t get me wrong... What I mean is when you work in a private language school, people (bosses, parents, students) all expect even more effort and efficiency from you, because language courses are not obligatory, they pay for them and expect to get their money �s worth. And they �re not all rich, some of them are people like me, they just want to provide something more for their kids. I �m not complaining - I think it �s very fair! Some of my colleagues have moved to state schools, some of them are happy, some not so much, but so is the case with my colleagues from the private school - some are happy, some are not.  Not many people get steady jobs, many of them are substitute teachers, so they go where they �re sent, which is not always great, and they never know how long they �re going to stay there, which is difficult... I have earned my place in the school where I work, and, despite the usual and unusual problems, I love it. You learn to make the most of a situation, as my hubbie says. I feel blessed to be doing a job I love, and I think I would do it the best I can, wherever I was sent, which I �m sure you �ll do to.
I really wish you challenging and rewarding work situations, cooperative colleagues and parents and students you are proud of! Enjoy your work, it �s a big part of your life (not whole), and share with us - we �re always here...
Anita

28 Jun 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Thanks for answering my post!

Anitarobi, you are totally right about making the most of a situation. This is what I have always done and will keep on doing! Wink

28 Jun 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hi Frechfrog,

Congratulations on getting a post. The Greek Public school system is very similar to the way you describe the French. When you have passed the exams to get a public teaching post you can have a choice of either primary or secondary education. English is taught from the 3rd year of primary school. You also get to pick the area. There�s a chart that has teacher vacancies and is published every year. After that it �s just like the French. You are placed where you are needed within a specific area (city, region, etc) that you have listed. Also we can apply for a change of position after the first year.  Whether your change is approved depends on the number of points you have. Points are given like in France:  marital status, number of children and  experience according to the number of point of the public schools  where you�ve taught in the past. For example, each year you are allotted one point, but you are also allotted points depending on the position of your school. A school in the city only has one point, but a school in a village far away from the major city may have 6 or seven points per year. So, you see our system is even worse than yours. Still it is better than working in the private sector because the major difference with the Greek system is that it is almost impossible to be released or fired once you�ve successfully completed your first year although this isn�t always fair. We don�t go through interviews, we are simply appointed and unfortunately many get very lazy within the first five years. We are not even evaluated although the Ministry is finally trying to do something about this. Still as you see things are not that different. I am in charge of all EU projects at my school and I have visited over half of the EU countries and I can tell you one thing for certain: None of the teachers I have met are satisfied with their educational system.  So enjoy your appointment.  And good luck in your new school.

Maria

28 Jun 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Congratulations dear frenchfrog! The most impoortant thing is to get a permanent teaching post and afterwards you can keep trying to apply to the school you really want. I believe the Portuguese system is very similar to yours.

Hugs from rainy Azores,
mena

28 Jun 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Frenchfrog!
Congratulations on your appointment! Even though you �d rather have been given a post at a senior high school instead of a junior, at least you are freed from the stress of not knowing where you are going to work next year.
As Maria said, things in Greece are very similar to the situation in France.
I hope you will be happy in your new school!
Good luck and have a nice summer!
serene

28 Jun 2009     

donapeter
Romania

Hello French frog!!
Congratulations!!
In Romania we used to have a national exam and then , according to the mark you got, you were sent to a school. Most of the people got a substitute teacher job after the exam, because there were/are only 3-4 vacant jobs as a full-teacher in each city. If you are a substitute teacher you repeat the exam every summer and you change the school in the autumn, according to the grades. It is stressful and frustrating. As a substitute teacher you don �t have the same rights as the other teachers. I was a substitute teacher for an year. I know how hard it is.
Now, I have my teaching post and I can tell it is different. I have been working in the same school for five years and I found my place there.

Congratulations again and have a nice summer vacation!!!

D

28 Jun 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

Hello !
Congratulations French Frog for being in one single school at last. There �is one thing that you forgot to say though : some area of France being "more expensive " than other, if you start your career and are single and were born and bred in let �s say the South East of France, you are sure to be sent to the North of France or even worse in the surburbs of Paris...
It �s been the case for me, that �s why I ended up in the North East of France (where people and pupils are wondeful, thank goodness) whereas all my friends and family were in the South East, 500 km far from here. Not always easy to live at the beginning when you doubt... And not every new French English teacher knows this wonderful site where I, for one, have found a second family.
Have a nice Sunday everyone !

28 Jun 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi FrenchFrog,
Congrats on reaching at least this stage. I have seen and admired your talent, drive and commitment on this site over the past months and I am convinced you will end up where you want to be, true quality will shine thru!!
In Israel the situation of teaching English is very different, or at least in my case.
I had been giving some courses on theater make-up and physics in school as a volunteer and people knew my English was good. One day I was sitting in the teacher �s room since one of the teachers is the mother of one of my daughter �s friends and she was to take her home for a play-date. The English teacher had just quit (two months into the year) and the principal walked in totally frustrated, not knowing what to do next (there is an enormous shortage of English teachers in Israel). In his desperation he half seriously-half jokingly turned to me and said: Marion, don �t you want to teach English? And that is how I ended up teaching a 3rd, 4th and 6th grade class!!! I work in the school my kids go (went) to, 3 minutes from home.....Even though it has been an enormous challenge and a few bubbles burst on the way, I am really enjoying it and wouldn �t want to be in another school (some other schools already asked if I am interested....but I said no.) I originally studied International Law (human rights specialization) so I wondered off a long way....
Marion

28 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Marion, that �s such a nice story - goes to show it �s not a diploma that makes you a good teacher, but, as somebody stated here in the forum - your teacher gene. I �m so glad you found yourself in this job, because I �m sure it has been felt by your pupils and their parents.
My dear little frogs (no pun intended, it �s just that you chose similar nicknames), do your authorities mean to torture you or is it just a coincidence? As if it isn �t difficult enough to start a new job anywhere, you have to move???? Do they provide some kind of accomodation at least? I don �t know about your countries, but when you mentioned being single, I remembered the situation with maternity leave in my country... I was lucky enough to take it the normal way and come back to my normal job position, lots of understanding from my boss and everything, but from what I hear from my other colleagues from other schools - it �s difficult enough to pass an interview in your child-bearing years (so to speak), let alone come back from maternity leave and find your job still waiting for you...

28 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >