Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A few thoughts of mine.    

A few thoughts of mine.

Caroline565
Australia

A few thoughts of mine.

Hi Dear Colleages,

As it is holiday time for most of us teachers in this part of the hemisphere I have decided to "cut back" on the amount of time that I have been spending in ESL. I �do not mean to leave ESL for good but just to refrain from posting too much during the summer break. Well to my amazement I found that in trying to do so, I began to get restless and �very moody when I stopped posting. It was hard not to respond to some posts. This worried me as I soon realized that ESL was causing withdrawal symptoms. �It was no different than getting off of a drug to me. So I have had to take a good look at myself. I would hate to be a "slave" to any forum. It took my hubby to point out to me how many hours I was spending in ESL. It was a ridiculous amount of time and then I had wondered why I was so tired!!!� Now do not get me wrong! �I truly love this forum. I have received so much help here and have made new friends. I have got some wonderful material that I can use in class but I also have become a little lazy in creating my OWN material for use with my students. That annoys me a lot as I always loved doing that. I have now made a promise to myself to try to keep a healthy balance between the two. �Btw...I argued with my hubby and gave to him so many silly excuses in my own defense as to why I needed to be in ESL so muchSmile. �But in the end I had to admit that he had a very valid point. I was getting addicted. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

While looking at some of the more recent posts a few thoughts came to mind. We now have (thanks to Victor), got the "Teachers Cafe" in which we are able to discuss things outside the realms of teaching. A place where we can relax and have a bit of a laugh. But is the limit of 30 posts enough? �Maybe Victor will increase it a little more. The reason I ask this is because we still find material on the Message Board which really should (in my opinion) be entered on� the Cafe Board . I think that initially Victor created the Cafe for such posts. �What I am referring to of course are the big Birthday Greeting cards and such stuff that push valuable teaching posts out of Message Board too quickly. I find that a pity. Again I would like other opinions on this. Maybe i am wrong? I could be an "odd-ball"LOL

And finally a very serious thought!Wink I wonder if Victor could possibly give us another section in ESL. It could be called "Veterinary Corner". It could be a special haven for all the cat and dog lovers in the forum. Not all members here are interested in the size, shape or number of� pictures of feline and canine "friends" LOL. So I am sure that those who do like such pictures would be more than pleased to have their own special niche here. Woof -woff Meow -meow.Smile

Would love to hear the views of others. Huggs to all,

Caroline�Hug

29 Jun 2009      

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Caroline,

You are right about being addicted to the site. It happens to me and many other members. I �m having muscular problems just because I �m spending hours before my PC. However, I can �t stop and I don �t want to. I would go crazy without my friends here and without the worksheets. I love it and won �t abandon it unless something bad happens to me. Be sure!!

As for the posts � proper place, you are right. I do understand that the forum is specialized for teaching discussions, but you know it �s reall hard to leave it. I �m not getting used to the cafe though I posted things there several times. I find the forum more public and more visited by the members here. Sometimes I have something that I would like to share with almost everyone. I can �t help it, so I rush and post it in the forum. Well, this doen �t happen all the time. It �s just now and then.

Anyways, thanks a bunch for bringing this up. You refreshed my mind.

Stay with us and being addicted to such a drug is fruitful in the very end, I guess. However, your hubby must come in the first place. Wink

Hugs,
Nebal

29 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Ha ha! Nebal. At least I am not on my own with this problem. (Well a problem to me I mean) I truly love the site but I DO wish to keep that healthy balance as I would not like it to interfere with my health or otherwise. In that case I would have to choose my health first. Its the pain in my shoulders that gets to me mostly when I spend too much time here. And the red eyes of courseLOLAnyway in the end it is a choice that we have to make. A balance between staying too long or giving it a moderate time. But like you I will NEVER leave itWink

29 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Another ESL junkie here - reporting for duty.... I love your postHug

Anita

29 Jun 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

Caroline, I really enjoyed reading your post and must say I agree with everything you wrote.  In fact, this year, being on sabbatical, I didn �t even log on to ESLprintables for many months; then a few months ago I �remembered � its existence and decided to come have a look and start organizing my worksheets into categories, and download and upload some new ones for the coming year.
 WEll, what can I say...I �ve been logging on a few times each day ever since. It �s so much fun reading the grammar questions, responding to people in need, sharing experiences, or just looking at the pleasant chit chat going on in the cafe.  There are so many wonderful, genuine people on this site, and knowing that we all have so much in common despite our different locations, backgrounds and cultures is really heart-warming.  
Once again thank you to Victor for his �creation �!!

29 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Anita, Johanne. Thanks for the response. Thankfully two more junkies�LOL. And yes Barbara I should have mentioned the squirrels�Wink

29 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Caroline, there are more junkies here, don �t worry, they �re just hiding or on holiday, and they all love us...Wink
Btw, I �m hoping it wears off after a while - you know, you keep coming and love it just the same, but aren �t so dependent on it that you actually feel restless... I �m hoping, I say... we �ll see...

Anita

29 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Three junkies and a stirrer Wink
Caroline, i �m surprised you did not think of ME, or should i say US, when suggesting different Corners. We would need an Irony and Wit Corner where i could post what my mind devises without any fear of a possibility of hurting someone �s feelings (aka egos) Wouldn �t that be great? Oh, and the Complaint and Whine Corner! Oh, oh, and the Moderators vs Wronged Members Corner! Oh, oh, oh! And the Gif and Jpeg Corner!! (Am i going too far? LOL) But on the other hand, I �m afraid that it would leave the forum barren and turn it into a Waste Land. I vote �no � to that! To the corners, i mean. Cool

29 Jun 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

Caroline,you �ve read my mind.I really understand you as the same it �s happening to me . As you say I will try to keep a healthy balance.

Have a nice day!!!Hug

29 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Ivona...or should I say Brat. I did NOT forget you at all...just did not want to tell the forum what they already knew...ie... that u are the biggest junkie here and yessss..stirrer too . �But we love you for it LOL. �I would be totally against the Irony and Wit�corner...we would miss you terribly in the other places then. No we cannot allow that for sure.Wink. �But I was serious about the Veterinary CornerWink. All those animal pictures caused me to put on my "wellies" just in caseLOL. Have a lovely night there everybody. Hugs CarolineHug

29 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Wow, another lovely squirrel! i love it! btw, when are we going to see YOU?

30 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >