Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English in Pre-School, yes Pre-school!!!!!    

English in Pre-School, yes Pre-school!!!!!

Ro_mina
Argentina

English in Pre-School, yes Pre-school!!!!!

Hello everyone!
I would like to know if any of you have ever taught english to pre-school children (2 years old). I am starting in one or two months and although I have some ideas, I am eagger to know more!
Can any of you suggest a book? author? web page?

Thanks (in advance)!

Romina   

30 Jun 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi, http://www.first-school.ws/ has lots of activities for preschoolers divided into different themes. I �m pretty sure you can things that might be useful for your course.

Here: http://bussongs.com/  you can find a listing of a variety of songs for kids. Sometimes you have a link to a youtube video.

More nursery rhymes here with printables for some of them: http://www.nurseryrhymes4u.com/

1 Jul 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

Yes, it is really amazing experience and they learn fast.

There is a moment at the beginning at the class called "Daily Routine" where teachers review and introduce all the structures and vocabulary through songs (Hello, days of the week, colors and weather song). You can make toodlers sit on the floor in a circle and you sit in front of them performing whatever you want with some rewards (stickers) so that they can concentrate.

Once you finish the daily routine, start with the presentation of the new topic. It could be using all the material you can and making them to repeat it. Then, There is a moment called "assesment" where they do an activity related to the topic (paste, color, circle, cut).

The class is closed through a song too. (bye bye song)

I used Parade by Mario Herrera and Animals Crackers

1 Jul 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

One important thing: stick to a routine. It will reassure the students and once they get the routine, they �ll focus less on what you �re trying to do and more on learning.

1 Jul 2009     

serennablack
Portugal

Hi romina:

I �m actually teaching pre-schoolers myself and one of the things that were mentioned before were routines. They are extremely important. With my kids I use a puppet and it �s the puppet which has a name that introduces every topic and that takes care of starting the class and teaching them english. I usually start with a song (simple one) like hello/goodbye song, then they call out  the puppet (birdy, in my case) and the puppet greets them and makes all sort of questions and revise all the vocabulary and structures learnt.  Then I introduce the new topic usually with flashcards or with real objects. We play some games, do some activities connected with that topic and at the end we sing the goodbye song. You have to keep in mind that their attention span is really short, so u have to engage them, keep them busy, changing activities with frequency. Like some have mentioned before they learn really fast, they are like sponges, absorbing everything, so you just have to be patient and don �t get discouraged. One note of advice: if they are not participating or nor willing to participate, don �t even try to force them, they have their own time and their own pace, they will eventually take interest in you if u follow what we say.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
:)

1 Jul 2009     

amicableann
Argentina

I �ve been working with the very little ones since 2004 and I am really AMAZED about how much they can learn .We follow a routine too and stck to multiple intelligences and to suggestopedia techniques to teach .our classes last no more than 45 minutes and ALWAYS include circle time and a new activity or game .Remember that novelty s very important! They enjoy playing, singing ,  reciting rhymes and TPR activities .
remeber how you learnt your mother tongue and do the same .They can make neural connections they will never lose ! Read what neurolinguists say about early language aquisition and believe me they are sponges and you won �t believe your ears when they start producing ! Don �t hesitate since they sometimes have a silent period !!Hug, Ana L�a

1 Jul 2009     

Ro_mina
Argentina

Thank you all a lot!!!
Really helpful!!
Regards,
Romina

2 Jul 2009