Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What does FIDO mean???    

What does FIDO mean???

danibauer
Brazil

What does FIDO mean???

I was watching a Simpson �s episode and one of the boys called somebody Fido.

The dictionary mentions something related to "A coin containing a minting error".

What does it mean when related to a person?

Thanks a lot! Have a wonderful day!!!!

Daniela

2 Jul 2009      

ignis.fatuus
Poland

hi!
have a look here:

due to some words that may be regarded as rude by some people, i won �t quote :)
take care
martyna

2 Jul 2009     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi Daniela,

- A coin that was imprinted incorrectly.
                            - A name often used for referring to a pet dog.

Al.

2 Jul 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Thank you, guys!!! I really appreciate!!

2 Jul 2009     

Marla D.
United States

Since it is a family show, I am guessing he meant dog. LOL

2 Jul 2009     

Jayho
Australia

It �s usual meaning is a pet dog.  I was suprised to see the definitions in the urban dictionary.  I learnt something new!

2 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

I wouldn �t use the Urban Dictionary as a general reference when it comes to teaching English.  It is nice to use to see what the language is currently doing among the young generation and "in the streets" but, it is mostly slang and does not give a good indication if something is slang or not.

The most common use of "Fido" that I know (and about the only one this native speaker had heard before reading the "Urban" definitions) is as a dog �s name.

Generic dog �s names usually are Spot, Rover, and/or Fido.  If you hear any of these they are usually somehow refering to a dog (about 98% of the time maybe?).

2 Jul 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

In Canada this is also the name of a Cell phone company.  Almost all of their commercials contain dogs.

2 Jul 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

dear Douglas,

as you know every language lives its life and evolves. something that is now slang might be a proper word in the future. what i mean is we can �t only trust dictionaries published 50 years ago, because some words change their  meaning. you need to be as flexible as the language itself and not consider any new meaning as bad or not reliable. i �ve got loads of friends who are native speakers and they speak totally different english that i learnt during years studying it at the uni. which is correct? the language from the books published years ago or the language spoken naturally? i believe that the majority of native spekaers of english have a lot of fun reading our correct and proper posts ;)

take care

2 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

I agree with completely ignis but, I also have enough knowledge of the language to determine what is "more correct" and what neds to be explained to my students.  If people are struggling with, or just learning,  the language and I teach them that the primary meaning (first definition on Urban Dictionary) of "Fido" is a vulgarity--it could put them in a VERY embarassing or even dangerous situation.

Like I said in my first post: "It is nice to use to see what the language is currently doing among the young generation and "in the streets"" It is important to me to try and keep-up so I don �t get surprised and so I can explain to my students what somethng "can also mean..." .  My only warning is that if you are unsure of a word, don �t use UD as the only authority for the classroom, they don �t do a good job of indicating what is most common usage and what is slang usage.

2 Jul 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I believe �Fido � is derived from Latin and means �faithful �, hence the popularity as a dog �s name.

Re the �Urban Dictionary �: the entries are from users, so that means that a lot of personal/individual/ �in group �/peer  slang & idiomatic language can be entered. This does not mean that an entry is common even within one speech community.

Just look at the other entries under �Fido� (& most of these will derive from dogs being called �fido�) or even the entry for �Bryce � if you don �t believe me!

The �Urban Dictionary � has potential but I don �t believe that you should rely on it alone for definitions because there is no evidence to support how commonly these actual �slang terms � are used. There is no verification (which happens with Wikipedia) so if you or I wanted to add an entry that we have made up & that we only use amongst our immediate associates, then why not! Does this mean it �s slang that is used in the general community (youth or otherwise)? I don �t think so...

Regards,
AB

2 Jul 2009