Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Students ´ returning to school postponed due to the flu    

Students ´ returning to school postponed due to the flu

fabianazardo
Brazil

Most deaths in Brazil were poorly diagnosed. That’s why the victims died.

Again, if we start to panic, nobody studies and works anymore.

Just watch out for your health. Risky cases, like children and pregnant should be more alert. Healthy people should avoid risky situations, that ´s all.

30 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

My doubt is because they say the situation will be under control soon and the flu is not lethal itself, but they are dealing with it in a different manner. I think that postponing classes show us they are not sure about the info they gave us and that maybe we ´re going to face a pandemic (which they are not prepared to treat) and they show us just the iceberg top.

Panicking is not of any help, but I think we deserve the truth in any case. We have conflictant information and since they are not able to distinguish between a normal flu and H1N1, how can they tell how many died due to the flu?

It ´s a great comfort and relief to share my fears with you here and see that we ´re all in the same boat (a leaky boat, in this case) but I don ´t want to be pessimist or too much optimist (how the Government want us to be). Realisticaly I see that we have to take care of our health and our lives have to go on.

I ´ll pray for warmer days and that they are prepared to face whatever we have ahead.

Zailda

30 Jul 2009     

Sara26
Brazil

Dear Zailda,

I understand your concern but I think there ´s no reason for panic.

The magazine "Veja" of this week brings a very good article about the swine flu and the situation here in Brazil.
If you have the oppotunity to read, please do it. If not, send me a pm and I will send it to you, ok?

Hugs & kisses,
Sara

31 Jul 2009     

zahara
Brazil

Hello everyone!

I ´m from Passo Fundo, where the first death happened in Brazil. Here the government postponed the classes for two weeks, so they will actually start in August 17th.

I ´ve read the article that Sara26 have mentioned, but the things that we heard around here are worst than the media is showing us. It ´s no reason for panic, but I agree with you that they could be more specific with the information about the flu.

We only have to take care of ourselves.

;)

31 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

I saw something on the TV Minuto in the metro this morning and I was wondering. Zailda, do you think the small English schools will also be made to open later? Not that they close, but with the kids returning from holidays. I must find out.

It has long been said that this flu isn ´t that serious. It spreads as quickly as normal flu and fewer people are hit with it. The main ones to get the flu are those who have health problems already. I, personally, believe that money is behind it. The governments are paying a lot of money for the vaccinations to be given to the population. Naturally, we need to be careful, but the ´pandemic ´ is ridiculous. What worries me is that the vaccines aren ´t tested properly before being given out. Who knows what long-term side effects they will have.

Tint~ (also in SP capital)

31 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Tint

In Diadema all the public, private and federal schools postponed until August 17th. I work at CCAA and it also agred the Government rule.

I don ´t believe in Government ´s statements easily, so I ´m looking for scientists and medical ´s opinions about this flu. Hope it ´s not very serious, but for sure it ´s not "as a common flu" or they wouldn ´t talke so much care about.

Zailda

31 Jul 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hello everyone

We are in the middle of our winter and flu season.  In regards to swine flu (H1N1)
- 20,000 people are/have been infected
- 58 deaths were associated with the flu
- 400 people are currently in hospital and 100 of those are in intensive care
- the total number of hospitalisations since the pandemic is 2400

Media statements clearly emphasise that generally healthy people are not at risk and those who had died had underlying medical conditions.  However, there is an association between this flu and pregnant women and they must be particularly vigilant.

The emphasis is on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and following hygenic practices.

The good news is that one of the drugs to fight the swine flu, Relenza, is made here in Australia (and marketed through Glaxo) and its stocks are being bought by governments in the northern hemisphere to balance Tamiflu reserves.  Another company here has also been asked to develop a product to combat swine flu. 

Common sense prevails both in the home and at school.  Also, keep up to date with your governments announcements and look after yourself and your family.

Cheers

Jayho

31 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

I must check the other schools to see if they will stay closed too. Thanks!

The government already has a vaccine for regular flu. Without ´pandemic ´ status, no one will accept another vaccine for a different flu. It ´s all politics or should I say ´economics ´, in my opinion, but then, I ´m an English teacher, not a scientist  Wink

31 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

I must check the other schools to see if they will stay closed too. Thanks!

The government already has a vaccine for regular flu. Without ´pandemic ´ status, no one will accept another vaccine for a different flu. It ´s all politics or should I say ´economics ´, in my opinion, but then, I ´m an English teacher, not a scientist  Wink

31 Jul 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

This flu is not serious if you react immediately. If  you happen to have sudden fever, you have to go  to casualty straightway. They inject you and following the treatment there is no risk except for people with cronic diseases, pregnant women or anyone with low inmune defences.
There are people who catch it without realizing they have it! So it is very, very important to be cautious when outside your house, but there is no reason to feel fear if you are healthy.

There is already a vaccine for this flu which is undergoing the final tests and is supposed to be available by the end of the year (they say)

31 Jul 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >