Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Did you know it?    

Did you know it?

Damielle
Argentina

Did you know it?

the aim of this post is just to share some information about a march that is well known all over the world:

Today we commemorate the death of Jos�  de San Mart�n ,an Argentine general and the prime leader of the southern part of South America �s successful struggle for independence from Spain.

Did you know???

The  official march of the Argentine Army, Marcha de San Lorenzo,  refers to one of the most successful combats fought by San Martin.

This march became famous over time in other countries:

It was played on June 22, 1911, during the coronation of King George V with prior approval sought by the British government from Argentina.

It was also played  for the coronation of Elizabeth II, the current British sovereign.

It  is played during the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace,

and in many other countries and by many generals

Here it is played by the Granaderos´  band:

17 Aug 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Damielle,

I can understand the feeling which I share.
San Martin was a real example for all of us, and should be for those in power.

I do not agree with the celebration of his death, but  what we should celebrate is his birth which was the starting point for so much good done by him.

Anyway, what I did want to state is I do not think this may be of the interest of most of our friends here and, in any case, this would not be the place to  do this kind of post.

17 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi Tere, Have you read my post carefully?

I �m not talking about any "celebration" but explaining the "commemoration" related to a march that is well known all over the world.

It �s related to a cultural matter, not our commemoration. Have you read the title "did you Know"? Have you read my commets about where it is played?  An English speaking country: England, which is one of the countries which culture we teach. The changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace is one of the world �s best known ceremonies.

So I think that any cultural issue related to our ESL teaching is suitable for his place. I�m just sharing the information I got and that surprised me a lot.  

17 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I do not want to answer your post as I think nobody cares or likes this type of things here.

You should read better, though and try not to show your feelings. We should be objective, even with our mates.

By the way:  to fight/fought/fought

Enjoy the day!

17 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

I wonder who has the right here to judge what people like or not!!!! Confused 
The answer is: NO One!!!

Thanks Dami for the nice information. It �s cultural awareness and very much related to English Language. I �m very interested in Argentina and you in specific, dear Dami.Wink

Hugs,
Nebal
P.S. Thanks for the correction. It was a typing mistake.

17 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I�ll answer your question here -I do not like this sort of PM:

I am a common member giving opinion based on facts already stated and discussed here.

Do something nice. It is a beautiful day to waste discussing.

mrnicolas
Argentina

(no subject)
and who are you to say what is right or what is wrong here? Let it be... and get a life

17 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Sorry, Tere, but Victor has already said that we can �t make public the PMs. Mine is a peaceful post. if you want to answer to that person, please do it by PM

17 Aug 2009     

MyFairy
Argentina

This is the typical Argentinian English Teacher discussion... isn �t it? WE really think we have the right to correct every single body and soul that happens to speak, or write in front of us... This is amazing! Thumbs Down

Damielle,
Thanks VERY MUCH for your contribution. HugI think we can ALL learn a lot from these kinds of contributions... National Commemorations or Celebrations are not paid too much attention in our country... and trying to link these to EFL and giving such useful information, is really very helpful! As there are a lot of members in this site from our country, I consider your post appropriate and worth reading! THANKS! ! !

BTW, who was the one who showed feelings and talked about PERSONAL points of view???

THANKS AGAIN! ! ! I will comment this info, I did not know, with my students...

Eugenia

17 Aug 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

TI3A06121-thanks.gif Tinkerbell Thank U You animated gif anna marek ani image by anna_marek 
Damielle,thank you for posting
 your contribution!
It was interesting for me!

This is relevant to anyone and everyone here.
We are talking about an historical event 
 in an English speaking country.
Victoria

17 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear colleagues,

What I find really curious and amazing is that every time there a discussion there are some who are trying to show they are on one side or another. This is a discussion not a war game on a battle field.

Everyone is here to say his opinion. And everyone has the right to respond to any opinion but without being on the offensive. There should be nothing personal if this opinion is about what is suitable or not on the message board or elsewhere. We have just to support it with an acceptable reason why or why not without being offensive?

If this information is related to the English language, and I see that it is, there is no harm to post it here. We all have to deal with some English speaking countries (especially the USA and GB) cultures one day or another.

But if the post is just to make known and/or share some (any other one) country �s national or religious celebrations , I think it has nothing to do on the message board and at most it can be shared on the Caf�. Why? Simply because of the simple question Victor always uses to find a solution in such situations; "What if all the members did the same?"

Just as an example; do you know how many historical celebrations are there in my country (Algeria) that are unknown for the others in the other countries? And how many are their that are neglected or even forbidden by the government? And about which I would like to talk with my compatriots here and better with all the other members. But I have to refrain because I simply can´t.

Finally, thanks Damielle for this information. It may help me when I will have to deal with the topic  "Diversity " in my curriculum.

Best regards to all.

17 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Did you guys win the Falkland Isles war?  We won ours. TWICE! :)

17 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >