Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How is t in your country?    

How is t in your country?

Anutka
Russian Federation

How is t in your country?

It was always interesting for me to know how much teacher �s salary in other countries. Is higher education necessary, or you may be a college graduator?
How much lessons a week  do you have? Is it obligotary for you to take part in different competitions for teachers?
Here in Russia education means little. Young teachers get 250-450 dollars a month. more experienced teachers get 500-600 dollars. Teachers can �t get more than 27 lessons a week, only if there is nobody to give these lessons. We are obliged to take part in different competitions, such as "The teacher of the year", for example.

23 Aug 2009      

luoliveira
Brazil

Well, in the language school where I work teachers usually work 40 hours a week, so the payment is better than in other schools (but we have to work more!). For these amount of hours teachers get paid from 1000 to 1500 dollars a month. It �s not that much, but it �s one of the schools where the salary is higher. We don �t have to take part in any competition or something like that, but we have to help to prepare any other extra activity the school wants us to do (such as a Halloween party, for example).

23 Aug 2009     

dayssb
Brazil

I work for the government of my city in the South of Brazil. Here a teacher like me (6 years working for it)makes around U$ 1700 to work 32 hours a week. And out of these 32 hours, we have 8 hours to prepare our classes in the school, it means that we "only" teach for 24 hours a week. We don`t need to get involved to any kind of competition, to be honest, the education system of my city is totally against any kind of competition. Sometimes we have some meetings with the whole group of English teachers (around 30 in my city) to discuss methodology which I think is very important but some of the teachers don`t go and there`s no punishment for it. I`ve already worked for 4 years at the Education Department coordenating the English group of teachers and I would get really disapointed when only 10 teachers showed up. As we have no discount for not taking part of the meetings, some teachers don`t care about what`s going on with the group, they think they already know everything and they don`t need to listen to more theory or exchange activities. Well, the money is not that bad but at the same time we don`t have many copies per month so we still need to use the blackboard and a kind of machine that we put a kind of carbon and roll  it sheet by sheet of paper to make copies(I don`t know how to call it in English), so, sometimes I print activities at home spending my own money. I have around 35 students per group and each group has two classes of 45 minutes per week (Too many students and  little time).

23 Aug 2009     

luisafields
Brazil

here in Brazil there are 2 kinds of english teachers:

the ones who work for regular schools (Junior High and High school) must have graduation in Language Teaching because the Law says so. They earn 1500 - 2000 dollars a month for working 20 hours a week. English is a mandatory subject since elementary school up to High School nowadays.

the ones who work for private english course schools dont have to be graduated, but they make less money. Approximatelly 800 dollars a month for working 40 hours a week and they have to help preparing extra activities asked by the school without getting paid for it. And usually the school doesnt paid all the legal labor rights.

23 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

To the Brazilians...  are all the values here in US Dollars? If I convert the values to Reais, the earnings are pretty high, a lot higher than most English teachers I know here in S�o Paulo, private and otherwise.

23 Aug 2009     

tinchofr
Argentina

Hello! Here in Argentina teachers have a sallary of around 600 to 700 dollars, but less if you have just started (400 to 500), we usually work 20 hours a week, but if you want to earn more you have to work more hours. In my case I work 28 hours a week because I also work in private schools. We have little time or no time for meetings with other teachers to discuss methodology or share experiencies, we have little time to prepare our classes, to study or to impruve ourselves as teachers because we are running all day from school to school. We usually work with 30 students per class and we have 2 periods or lessons a week of 50 minutes each. Here English language education is compulsory starting at Primary school (4th year) and for everybody at the Secondary school.
Here we have the chance to teach while we are still studying if there isn �t other teacher with a degree to teach in that place. But there are also people with private certificates (and some of them with low grades) who are teaching but who aren �t studying at the teaching course.
As regards money, I usually spend a lot of money in the copies for my students and many times I print them at home because nowadays it is even more expensive to make copies at a copy shop than to print them with your own computer. In many schools students don �t have money to buy books so it is very necessary to give them materials like the ones we can share here. I �m very thankfull to this comunity! Bye!

23 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m not going to get into salary here because the cost of life is different from one place to another. Here we work "35" paid hours. Whatever we do outside those ours is not paid. Our job includes the classes but also anything surrounding the kids: preparing activities during special time during the schoolyear (Christmas, Winterfest...) and also recess duties.

I �ve said it before in another post. It does not matter how much we are paid. If we divide our salary into the hours we really dedicate to teaching, it will not amount to much. But I �m fine with that. I �ve been teaching for 20 years now and I �ve never regretted my choice. I �m returning to work tomorrow after a nice summer holiday and I �m going back with a smile.

23 Aug 2009     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Gosh, I got really amazed and astonished for knowing how much my compratriots colleagues are earning here in Brazil!!!!!!

I live in Pernambuco and work at a state school. I did an open competition to enter the school and now I �m a state public school teacher.  I �ve been working there for 3 years. I have to work 150 hours per month and my salary is U$ 300, 00. I also work in a private school and there they pay you per class, each hour is U$ 3,50. I also work for a language institute and they also pay per hour that is from U$ 5,00 to 7,50.

Our reality in this great, huge and beautiful Brazil is very different, isn �t it????? 

23 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

Manon is right - it is all related to the cost of living in your country and can you make ends meet with your salary.  I work 80 hours a week but get paid for 96 because I �m an old lady.  I around $1,300  a month after taxes but there very few extras.  Some country give free health, dental and eyeglasses etc. which add a lot of money to ones base salary.  It is really hard to compare.

23 Aug 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I agree with Manon and Barbara and also wanted to add that in some countries it all depends on the kind of school you work for (public, private and language schools), on the reputation of school, even on the city.

23 Aug 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

I hated teaching. I want lots of money for the least amount of work possible.

24 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >