Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sad...    

Sad...

Portugal

Excellent, then, dear Akanah. I don �t agree with you either & still respect you, too.

However, you said: "Zambia, you shouldn �t leave just because we don �t think like you do. " referring to another member and although she explained her reasons were not  the ones you had mentioned (quoting:I want to leave because I don �t need to be called names and get nasty messages), you didn�t take time to respond to her and excuse/explain yourself to her, for an interpretation which was not accurate.

Moreover,   you took your time to respond to me, on the subject you mentioned, but you didn�t take your time to respond to my main arguments. And this is a debate, we are taking our time stating our opinions and also taking other people�s time, since they have to read them,  respond & clarify.

I would agree with you when you said there �s nothing else to do but wait till Victor �s decision, don �t you think?, but  there was more to it in your message.

If you had said just that, according to the arguments brought to the debate, I guess I would be done with the subject, until new arguments would show, sound enough to be thought over.  This is all argumentation is about.

But I still do respect the way you spend your time, since it�s yours.

So, we are in good terms, as I always thought we were.

Just to restate the main subject and my arguments, in case  you have missed them,  &/or other members want to develop:

My arguments:

However, since you bring up the subject, I thought there were 2 ethical/practical issues there:

No1: Somehow, new rules shouldn �t apply to old contributions, following the general principle, that laws only apply after being set.

No2: The contributions being discussed put a lot of weight on the site &/or model new members � contributions in an undesirable way. Undesirable, let me clarify, because. 1) some of them could put a lot of weight on the server, which is a current problem & 2) they can model new members � contributions not being compatible with the rules recently set.

What is more important here? No1 or No2?

I guess no2 would prevail, for the community �s sake, development & empowerment.

My best regards to all.
Idalina Jorge

27 Oct 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I do report quite a few new worksheets if they don �t follow the rules. I feel it �s my duty to keep an eye on new contributions because I find a lot of help here.
But:
I am not going to report old worksheets.

I don �t want to play the role of worksheet-police.

I don �t want to create more aggression or frustration than necessary.

Who am I to oblige old members (who uploaded according to the rules that were valid at the time) to change their worksheets?

I don �t think worksheets that date from last year or so really harm our large collection even if they are not quite up to date where the rules are concerned.

And I don �t think laws and rules must be followed at all cost or by all means.

Dorothea

27 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well said Dorothea Smile. I agree wholeheartedly with your views on the subject at hand.

27 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Dear Dorothea (& all),
I acknowledge your sound argument & I respond, because it �s an issue to be seriously taken into account:

I don �t want to create more aggression or frustration than necessary.

&

I don �t think laws and rules must be followed at all cost or by all means.

You made a point here. I �m not ready to respond fully; I �ve noticed some aggression & frustration, hopefully not as strongly as you & other members/moderators may have had to face.

However, what do you make of this?
What if people discuss these issues, leaving aggression aside?
What if people discuss this, taking the site �s  empowerment  into account ahead of anything else?

edit: Dora,  it seems we were posting simultaneously. Same acknowledgement to you, of course.

I must go now, but I�ll follow this thread later, with interest and respect. There are some people here, no matter their views are, who are trying hard to come up with a solution to serve the whole community.

Best regards,
ij(nikadixon

27 Oct 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Dear nikadixon,
 I �m sure you read yesterday �s post where zambia said she was leaving coz of the nasty words and i �m sure you read my answer telling her not to leave coz of these members. So, why do you say I didn �t take time to answer her? who knows...
 I dedicated you a whole post coz you had the derence of doing so,  bringing up my blog theme. I �m sure you didn �t mean to offend me coz,as a wise woman said, we can discuss issues leaving aggression aside. And by aggression I mean personal and malicious comments out of place, another type of aggression. (talking about being more in a message...)

Going back to the main subject, the one I haven �t forgot coz I started it  yesterday: Dorothea, totaly agree with you. It �s great to see that so many people think removing/revising old WSS is unfair. "And I don �t think laws and rules must be followed at all cost or by all means." I think I remember Victor saying something like this, asking us to be a little more flexible.
 Don´t you think that finding out when the new rules where set and putting that date as a limit to report would solve this problem? Of course, if an old WS is not an ESL resource, we could vore for its removal. Don´t you think?

Olga

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Michaela:

I feel bothered when moderators forget the ws they are voting to post remarks on other moderators as well. As I said everyone here is member and has to be respected and the time he has been a member doesn �t matter. This "hierarchy" doesn �t exist, and your work here is excellent, so don �t leave.

As I previously said, the rules are for everyone because everyone is equal. But it seems some are "more equal" than the others.

27 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Dear Akanah (& all)

I realize now that the word advertising seems to be the cause of some misunderstanding here.

I understand: being so often used at the site the way it is,  could explain for it, so I apologize for the word I�ve used.

In case this was the real cause, here, and since I don�t see a problem in providing a link to your blog,(wOOw, people  from all over the world, visiting, congrats! Out of place again, nika here, I guess... )  I�ll advertise Wink a little, too:

I love quotes, I chose this one to begin one of the chapters of my doctorate thesis:

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder

I do believe it �s true. Helps me out:  since I �m not particularly beautiful, I try to cultivate some alternative  types of beauty; anyway, I �ll be sixty in 3 years... (sigh)

Best regards.

ij

Edit: oops!!! Excuse me, simultaneous post again Smile Hello, Zailda.
Edit: the post was edited to advertise: out of place  Embarrassed

27 Oct 2009     

Akanah
Spain

@Nikadixon: no probs, just a misunderstanding. Please, take note that I only write my blog �s URL when posting on some other issue. I �ve never advertised it as a single post coz the forum is not the place to do so.

Now that we �re clear, I think we really need to come up with a solution to this old - new members problem and the collateral demages it �s causing.

Good night, off to bed.
Olga

edit:  a quote to nikadixon by Kafka "�Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.�

27 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Well, thank you, Akanah. Have you been to Kafka �s place in Czech Republic? I love that tiny street, money seems to run out of my pockect every square cm... and out of my daughter �s pocket, too. Besides, those street markets on & around Charles � bridge, & the crystals...

Collateral damages must be taken into consideration, I agree - with the least suffering possible, as Dorothea has mentioned. But arguments on justice, equality, modelling the current rules and similar, seem  well intended and fair.

Since this SAD thread ended up with us two, I guess I�ll be leaving, too: that�s one hour later there in Spain, just in case you haven�t noticed... Should I be checking on new contributions, instead?...

Anyway, when I saw the first post, I thought to myself that something that started SAD, would end up nicely - at the very least.

Problems yet to be solved? I guess there are. But some negotiation went on here & a shared solution will be found.

You didn�t answer my arguments. Still, I feel that I�ve accomplished something here, made new friends, and I�m grateful. 

Have a good night.
Best regards.
ij

28 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3